Current Affairs Capsule – 27 September 2019
- September 27, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Bangladesh Government lifted the ban on the export of its national fish – Hilsa – to India prior to the eve of Durga Pooja. Bangladesh, which accounts for nearly 75% of the world’s Hilsa production, had imposed a ban on its export to India due to its over–exploitation. The fish had received the status of “Threatened Species” under the IUCN red list.
- Adille Sumariwallam, President of the Athletics Federation of India (AFI), has been re-elected as a member of the Council of International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) for another four-year term. Established on 17th July, 1912 in Stockholm, Sweden, IAAF is an international governing body for sport of athletics with headquarters in Monaco.
- World Tourism Day is celebrated every year on 27th September across the world to create awareness on social, political, cultural and economic values in the international community. The theme for this year is “Tourism and Jobs – A better future for all”. The United Nations World Tour Organization (UNWTO) has been celebrating World Tourism Day since 1980.
- Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has been conferred the Global Alliance for Vaccination and Immunisations’ (GAVI’s) Vaccine Hero Award at the United Nations Headquarters in New York, in recognition of Bangladesh’s outstanding success in vaccination to immunise children. GAVI is an international organization that was created in 2000. The Vaccine Hero award was introduced in 2018 to celebrate the global figures whose dedication to the Vaccine Alliance’s mission has played a key role in helping GAVI and its partners to protect hundreds of millions of children across the world.
- ‘Varaha’, an Indian Coast Guard offshore patrol vessel was commissioned by the Defence Minister Rajnath Singh at Chennai Port Trust. Based at New Mangalore, it will operate from New Mangalore port to Kanyakumari. It is the fourth in the series of seven 98-m Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPV) of Indian Coast Guard (ICG) and has been designed and built indigenously by Larsen & Toubro (L&T) at its Katupalli ship building yard in North Chennai.
- World Maritime Day (WMD) is observed every year on the last Thursday of September to acknowledge the importance of maritime industry and highlight the importance of shipping safety, maritime security and marine environment. It was first observed in 1978. The day commemorates the day of adaptation of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) Convention in 1958.
- Hurun Report India and IIFL Wealth Management released the IIFL Wealth-Hurun India Rich List 2019. According to it, Reliance Industries’ Chairman Mukesh Ambani is India’s richest man with a net worth of Rs. 3.8 lakh crores. As per this 8th edition, the number of Indians having a net worth of over Rs. 1,000 crores has grown to 953 this year from 831 in 2018, whereas the number of Indian billionaires, in terms of the US dollar, has reduced to 138 from 141.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) established?
Q2. On which day is the World Tourism Day celebrated?
- September 25
- September 26
- September 27
- September 28
Q3. Who has been conferred with the Global Alliance for Vaccination and Immunisations’ (GAVI’s) Vaccine Hero Award 2019?
- Narendra Modi
- Angela Merkel
- Sheikh Hasina
- Xi Jinping
Q4. When was the International Maritime Organization (IMO) Convention adopted?
Q5. Who is the richest man in India as per the IIFL Wealth-Hurun India Rich List 2019?
- Azim Premji
- Mukesh Ambani
- SP Hinduja & family
- Natarajan Chandrasekaran