CURRENT AFFAIRS CAPSULE – 28 AUGUST 2019
- August 28, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Indian Air Force’s (IAF) Wing Commander Shalija Dhami became the country’s first female officer to be appointed as a flight commander of a flying unit. She took over as flight commander of a Chetak helicopter unit at the Hindon airbase in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh. A Flight Commander post is second in command of the flight commander unit, which means that Dhami is the second in unit after the commanding officer.
- The 18th Conference of the Parties (CoP18) of Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) was held in Geneva, Switzerland. Smooth-coated otter (Lutrogale perspicillata) and Indian star tortoise were given highest level of international protection from commercial trade.
- The Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) Shashi Shanker was honoured with the Distinguished Fellowship of Institute of Directors (IOD), 2019 during the 29th Institute of Directors (IOD) Annual Day Ceremony held in New Delhi. The theme of the 2019 IOD Annual Day Ceremony was ‘Future Boards: Leading Strategy to Embrace Sustainability’.
- Department of Social Justice (DSJE), Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the National AIDS Control Organization (NACO), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare for enhanced outreach on HIV/AIDS Prevention. NACO was constituted to implement India’s first National AIDS Control Programme (1992-1999) launched in 1992.
- Tamil Nadu Government launched its exclusive education TV channel named Kalvi Tholaikkatchi (Education TV), which aims at benefiting students of classes I to XII. Its programmes will be based on board exam preparation for students, employment news and opportunities for the youth and career-guidance information.
- Shaheen VIII (Eagle VIII), a joint bilateral aerial exercise between Pakistan and China will be conducted in the Chinese city of Holton, close to the Indian border near Ladakh. The annual exercise is being conducted since 2011. It aims to develop a mechanism for interoperability of both countries’ air forces.
- Union Minister for Science and Technology Dr. Harsh Vardhan and Chief Minister of Uttarakhand Trivendra Singh Rawat inaugurated the waste plastic-to-diesel plant in Dehradun that has been set up by the Indian Institute of Petroleum (IIP) as a step towards ensuring freedom from plastic. The plant has a capacity to produce 800 litres diesel from 1 tonne of plastic. The IIP was established in 1960.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who is the India’s first female officer to be appointed as flight commander of a flying unit?
- Shalija Dhami
- Meena Verma
- Pramila Kumari
- Neeta Chopra
Q2. When was India’s first National AIDS Control Programme launched?
Q3. Which state launched its exclusive education TV channel named Kalvi Tholaikkatchi (Education TV)?
- Tamil Nadu
- Andhra Pradesh
Q4. Shaheen is an aerial exercise between _______ and _________
- India- China
Q5. When was the Indian Institute of Petroleum (IIP) established?