Current Affairs Capsule – 29 November 2019
- November 29, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the signing of the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement and Protocol between India and Chile on 27th November, 2019. The tax agreement helps tax-payers in these countries to avoid being taxed twice for the same income. A DTAA applies in cases where a tax-payer resides in one country and earns income in another.
- The Parliament passed the National Institute of Design (Amendment) Bill, 2019, which seeks to amend the National Institute of Design Act, 2014, which declares the National Institute of Design in Ahmedabad as an institution of national importance, on 26th November, 2019. It seeks to declare four National Institutes of Design located at Amaravati in Andhra Pradesh, Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh, Jorhat in Assam and Kurukshetra in Haryana as institutions of national importance.
- The Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill 2019 has been passed by the Parliament, with the Rajya Sabha approving it on 26th November, 2019. The bill aims to protect the rights of transgender persons by granting them their due recognition and making welfare provisions for them. The Bill defines a transgender person as one whose gender does not match the gender that was assigned at birth. The category of people includes trans-men, trans-women, gender-queers, persons with intersex variations and persons with socio-cultural identities.
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved post facto the Agreement signed by the Prime Minister on 29th October, 2019 for the establishment of the Strategic Partnership Council between India and Saudi Arabia. Prime Minister Modi and Saudi Crown Prince Salman will jointly head the Council, which will meet after an interval of two years. The Council will help identify new areas for forging strategic engagement and will define the goals to be achieved and benefits to be derived.
- Parasite, a film directed by South Korea’s Bong Joon-Ho, won the best feature film at the 13th Asia Pacific Screen Awards (APSA) in Brisbane, Australia. The best performance by an actor and best performance by an actress were presented to Manoj Bajpayee in ‘Bhonsle’ and Max Eigenmann in ‘Verdict’ respectively. Established in 2007, the APSA is an international cultural initiative of the Brisbane City Council, Australia, to honour and promote the films, actors, directors, and cultures of the Asia-Pacific region to a global audience.
- The Constitution Day, also known as Samvidhan Divas, is observed in India every year on 26th November to commemorate the adoption of the Constitution of India on 26th November, 1949 by the Constituent Assembly of India. The Constitution of India came into effect on 26th January, 1950. The year 2019 marks the 70th Constitution Day. The Government of India declared 26th November as the Constitution Day on 19th November 2015.
- Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat represented India at the 8th Water Technology and Environment Control (WATEC) Conference based on the theme “Water Stewardship and Innovation – driving global leadership in the responsible planning management, and protection of water” that was held in Israel from 18th November to 21st November, 2019. Israel reuses 80% of its sewage water for agriculture. The conference will help India learn technologies to conserve water and replicate it.
- Union Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri launched the Credit-linked Subsidy Services Awas Portal (CLAP) of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Housing for All (Urban) on 25th November, 2019. The portal aims to provide a transparent and robust real-time web-based monitoring system for the beneficiaries of the Credit-linked Subsidy Services (CLSS). The Union Housing Affairs Ministry also signed agreements with the state governments for the construction of Light House projects under the Global Housing Technology Challenge-India (GHTC-India).
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. With which country has India signed the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement and Protocol?
- Saudi Arabia
Q2. How many National Institutes of Design does the National Institute of Design (Amendment) Bill, 2019 seek to declare as institutions of national importance?
Q3. Union Cabinet approved post facto the agreement for the establishment of the Strategic Partnership Council between India and ________
- Saudi Arabia
Q4. When were the Asia Pacific Screen Awards (APSA) established?
Q5. On which day is the Samvidhan Divas observed in India?
- 26th January
- 26th November
- 26th August
- 26th December
Q6. Where was the 8th Water Technology and Environment Control (WATEC) Conference held?
- New York
- New Delhi