Current Affairs Capsule – 3 December 2019
- December 3, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) referred the troubled mortgage lender Dewan Housing Finance Corp. Ltd (DHFL), which has a debt of ₹83,873 crores, to the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) for insolvency proceedings on 29th November, 2019, making it the first financial services firm to go to NCLT. The DHFL had public deposits of ₹6,188 crores as on 6th July 2019, down from ₹10,166.72 crores, as on 31st March 2018.
- World AIDS Day is observed every year across the world on 1st December for raising awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection and mourning those who have died of the disease. The theme for this year is “Ending the HIV/AIDS Epidemic: Community by Community”. As per the World Health Organization (WHO), of the 37.9 million people living with HIV at the end of 2018, 79% received testing, 62% received treatment, and 53% had achieved suppression of the HIV virus with reduced risk of infecting others. The day was first observed in 1988.
- The UK India Business Council (UKIBC), on 29th November, 2019, announced the establishment of the Aerospace and Defence Industry Group to boost bilateral cooperation in these areas. It has been formed after suggestions of the Defence and Security Organisation and with the support of the UK Defence Solutions Centre, ADS Group Ltd, the Department for International Trade and Industry.
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray was sworn in as the 18th Chief Minister of Maharashtra on 28th November, 2019. He will lead a government of the Maha Vikas Aghadi – an alliance of the Shiv Sena, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) and Congress. He is the third Shiv Sena leader to occupy the top post, after Narayan Rane (1999) and Manohar Joshi (1995).
- The International Day of Persons with Disabilities is observed by the United Nations on 3rd December annually since 1992. The day aims to promote the well-being of persons with disabilities and to increase awareness regarding their situation in social, political, cultural and economic contexts. A one-day event is being organized by the UN at its headquarters and new initiatives are set to be launched under the United Nations Disability Inclusion Strategy. Major focus of these initiatives will be on achieving the Sustainable Development Goal 17 (SDG 17) that pledged to “leave no one behind”.
- The joint military exercise between India and Nepal – SURYA KIRAN – XIV – will be conducted from 3rd December to 16th December 2019 at Salijhandi in the Rupehndehi district of Nepal. The exercise is an annual event and is conducted alternatively in both the countries. In this year’s edition, 300 soldiers from both sides will participate and share their experience in conduct of various counter insurgency and counter terrorism operations in addition to humanitarian assistance missions.
- Sub Lieutenant Shivangi completed her operational training in Kochi, Kerala to become the Indian Navy’s first woman pilot. She received her “golden wings” from Vice Admiral AK Chawla in a ceremony held at INS Garuda and will fly the Naval Dornier surveillance aircraft.
- The Punjab Government approved the amendment of Punjab Village Common Land (Regulation) Rules, 1964 with the aim to create land banks in rural areas to boost industrial development in the state. The approved amendment provides a special provision to transfer shamlat land, which is land that does not come under cultivation and habitation, to the development of industrial projects. Now, the shamlat land will be transferred to industry department or state-owned Punjab Small Industries and Export Corporation (PSIEC).
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Which is the first financial firm to be referred to the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT)?
- Bajaj Finance Ltd
- Muthoot Finance Ltd
- Mutual Funds
- Dewan Housing Finance Corp. Ltd
Q2. As per WHO, how many people are living with HIV at the end of 2018?
- 28.3 million
- 37.9 million
- 43.7 million
- 52.4 million
Q3. When was the first World AIDS Day observed?
Q4. Since which year is the International Day of Persons with Disabilities being organized by the United Nations?
Q5. The joint military exercise SURYA KIRAN – XIV is conducted between India and which other country?
Q6. Name the Indian Navy’s first woman pilot who completed her operation training in Kochi, Kerala recently.
- Sub Lieutenant Arundhati
- Sub Lieutenant Arunima
- Sub Lieutenant Shivangi
- Sub Lieutenant Shivani
Q7. Which state’s government recently approved an amendment that permits transfer of shamlat land to the development of industrial projects?
- Madhya Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh