Current Affairs Capsule – 4 November 2019
- November 4, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Union Minister of State (independent charge) for AYUSH Shripad Naik inaugurated the National Research Institute of Unani Medicine for Skin Disorders on 3rd November, 2019 in Hyderabad. The institute has been upgraded from the Central Research Institute of Unani Medicine (CRIUM). The concept of AYUSH was brought by the National Rural Health Mission, 2005 to revitalize local health traditions.
- Vigyanika, an International Science Literature Festival that is being organised as part of the 5th India International Science Festival (IISF) 2019 at Kolkata, will also feature a Science Book Fair where more than thirty publishers will display their scientific publications. The Ministry of Science & Technology and Earth Sciences and the Vijnana Bharati (Vibha) jointly organised the IISF 2019 from 5th November to 8th November, 2019.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the 16th India-ASEAN summit that is being held in Bangkok, Thailand. India highlighted the importance of enhancing surface, air and maritime connectivity between India and the other ten nations of the bloc to boost the regional trade and economic growth. The ASEAN region, along with India, together, comprises a population of 1.85 billion people, which is one fourth of the global population and their combined GDP has been estimated at over USD 3.8 trillion. The ASEAN is India’s fourth largest trading partner.
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi in collaboration with the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) is going to set up a Space Technology Cell at the campus. The cell will work towards carrying out focused research projects in the space technology domain with specific deliverables.
- The 2019 ‘Global Microscope: The enabling environment for Financial Inclusion’ report which assesses the enabling environment for financial access in 55 countries was released by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU). Colombia topped the list followed by Peru, Uruguay and Mexico. India was placed at 5th rank. First published in the year 2007, it is the 12th edition of the report. Founded in 1946, the EIU is the world leader in global business intelligence.
- Mother Teresa Memorial Awards for Social Justice (MTMA), which recognise the exemplary and humanitarian work done by social activists in the fields and issues related to modern forms of slavery, will be presented on 3rd November, 2019. The theme for the 15th edition of the awards is ‘Combating Contemporary Forms of Slavery’. Being awarded annually since 2014, the awards honour individuals and organizations that promote peace, equality and social justice.
- Penguin Random House released the Guinness World Records 2020, which lists thousands of new record titles and holders that will educate and entertain curious readers of all ages. The record for the Most Polluted City in the World was achieved by Kanpur of Uttar Pradesh with an average PM2.5 level of 173 micrograms/m3 for the year 2016. This year, 80 record breaking achievements by Indians were included in the list.
- Delhi Police Special Cell and sixteen officials from the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) were awarded the Union Home Minister’s Special Operation Medal for 2019. Delhi Police won the medal for arresting terrorists Abdul Latif Ganai and Hilal Ahmad. The ITBP received the honour for the successful Nanda Devi Search and Rescue Mission. The Medal was instituted in June 2018 to promote high professional standards of investigation of crime in the State and Union Territory Police and Central Investigating Agencies (CIAs) in India.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Where was the 5th India International Science Festival (IISF) 2019 held?
- New Delhi
Q2. ASEAN is a bloc of _________ nations
Q3. Which country topped the 2019 ‘Global Microscope: The enabling environment for Financial Inclusion’ report?
Q4. When were the Mother Teresa Memorial Awards for Social Justice (MTMA) established?
Q5. Which city has achieved the record for the “Most Polluted City in the World” in the Guinness World Records 2020?
- New Delhi