CURRENT AFFAIRS CAPSULE – 5 AUGUST 2019
- August 5, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully conducted two flight tests against live aerial targets for its state-of-the-art Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missiles (QRSAM) from the Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur in Odisha. Various Electro Optical Tracking Systems (EOTS), Radar Systems and Telemetry Systems captured the entire mission. The missiles have a range of 25-30 km.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has issued RBI (‘Fit and Proper’ Criteria for Elected Directors on the Boards of PSBs) Directions, 2019 in order to tighten the fit-and-proper criteria for directors on boards of the state-run Public Sector Banks (PSBs). It bars Members of Parliament (MPs), Members of Legislative Assemblies (MLAs) and local governments from becoming a member of PSB boards. The Nomination and Remuneration Committee (NRC) consisting of a minimum of three non-executive directors from amongst board of directors must be constituted by the PSBs. The Centre’s nominee director shall not be a part of the NRC.
- The Lalit Kala Akademi (National Academy of Art) celebrated its 65th Foundation Day in New Delhi on 5th August, 2019. On this occasion, the Culture and Tourism Minister Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurated an art camp and an artwork and painting exhibition and released a book – Mithila Ki Lok Chitrakala. Established in New Delhi in 1954, the Lalit Kala Akademi promotes and propagates understanding of Indian art, in and outside the country.
- The President has issued the Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 2019 which comes into force at once and supersedes the Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 1954. The Order adds several clauses to Article 367. These include that the Constituent Assembly of the State shall become Legislative Assembly of the state as mentioned in the Clause 2 of the Article. The Governor of the state shall act on the advice of his Council of Ministers.
- Government announced repealing Article 370 which grants special status to Jammu and Kashmir on 5th August, 2019. Home Minister Amit Shah, in this regard, moved a resolution in the Rajya Sabha. Amit Shah also introduced the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganization Bill, 2019 which seeks to make Jammu and Kashmir a Union Territory with a Legislature, and Ladakh a Union Territory without Legislature.
- In Maldives, former vice president Ahmed Adeeb was taken to Dhoonidhoo Detention Center after being returned to the country on 5th August, 2019. Adeeb was arrested after fleeing to India to avoid questioning over the alleged embezzlement of state funds. India had refused entry to him. Adeeb had recently been freed from a 33-year jail sentence over corruption and terrorism.
- At the Magomed Salam Umakhanov Memorial International Boxing Tournament in Kaspiysk, Russia, India won a total of six medals that comprised of two gold, one silver and three bronze medals. Lovlina Borgohain (69kg) and Neeraj (57kg) clinched gold medals. Gaurav Solanki (56 kg) won a silver medal.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. What is the range of the Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missiles?
Q2. PSBs must constitute Nomination and Remuneration Committee (NRC) consisting of a minimum of ________non-executive directors from amongst board of directors?
Q3. When was the Lalit Kala Akademi established?
Q4. President has issued Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 2019 which supersedes Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order __________
Q5. Jammu and Kashmir Reorganization Bill, 2019 which seeks to make Jammu and Kashmir a Union Territory _________
- Without Legislature
- with Legislature
- both a &b
- none of the above