Current Affairs Capsule – 5 October 2019
- October 5, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal announced that the Delhi Cabinet approved a bill to set up India’s first Sports University that will offer graduate, postgraduate and doctorate degrees in hockey, football and cricket on 3rd October, 2019.The University will act as a State University and will also have a full-fledged Delhi Sports School that will be affiliated to CBSE.
- Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated the Vande Bharat Express that will run between Delhi and Katra station in Jammu and Kashmir. The train is the second of its kind. The first such train was launched between Delhi and Varanasi. It is the fastest train in India with a maximum speed of 160 km per hour. Katra is situated in the foothills of the Trikuta Mountains.
- Union Minister of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY) Ravi Shankar Prasad launched an Automated Real Time Performance Smart-board for effective monitoring and measurement of key programmes of government such as Digital India, Aadhaar, Digital Payments, etc., while celebrating the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. He also unveiled an art installation at the IT Ministry office known as ‘Digital Charkha’.
- The United States (US) tested an unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile from the California base. The missile travelled 6,750 km across Pacific Ocean to the Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands. Minuteman III was started in 1966. The missile is armed with 170 kilotons of TNT and has an Airborne Launch Control System.
- The India Economic Summit is being organized by the World Economic Forum in collaboration with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) on 3rd and 4th October, 2019 in New Delhi. The Summit will be co-chaired by Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, Singapore Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat and Sania Mirza representing UN Women. The theme for the summit is ‘Innovating India: Strengthening South Asia, Impacting the World’. The WEF was founded in 1971 in Cologny, Geneva, Switzerland.
- The second edition of the informal summit between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping will be held in Mamallapuram, Tamil Nadu. Mamallapuram, also known as the Seven Pagodas of Mahabalipuram, was declared a UNESCO World Heritage site. The first informal meeting between the leaders was held in Wuhan, China in April 2018.
- Sachin Tendulkar has been awarded “The most effective Swachhata Ambassador” at the Safaigiri Awards 2019. The former Indian Cricketer was chosen as he utilized his fame and popularity to ensure India achieved its goal of Swachh Bharat. Safaigiri Awards is an initiative of India Today group to celebrate the champions of Clean India campaign. This is the fifth award function organized by the group.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Which state/UT approved a bill to set up India’s first Sports University?
- Andhra Pradesh
Q2. The first Vande Bharat Express was launched between ______ and ________
- Delhi and Katra
- Delhi and Varanasi
- Delhi and Allahabad
- Delhi and Mumbai
Q3. Which country tested the Minuteman III missile recently?
- North Korea
Q4. When was the World Economic Forum founded?
Q5. Where was the first informal summit between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping held?
- New Delhi
Q6. Who has been awarded “The most effective Swachhata Ambassador”?
- Sania Mirza
- Sachin Tendulkar
- Rahul Dravid
- Kapil Dev