Current Affairs Capsule – 7 December 2019
- December 7, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill was cleared by the Union Cabinet for it to be tabled in the Lok Sabha and this comes in the wake of widespread protests in the north eastern states of India. The aim of the bill is to provide Indian citizenship to five minority communities – Hindus, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists and Jains – from the countries of Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Pakistan. At present, the citizenship of India is granted to a person given that he has resided in the country for 11 years. The Bill that is being tabled has excluded the Muslim community and this violates Article 14 of the Constitution of India that legalizes “equality before law”.
- The Joint Declaration of Intent (JDI) between India and Germany regarding strategic cooperation on railway projects was notified to the Union Cabinet, which is chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The JDI will provide a platform to the Indian Railways to interact and share latest knowledge and developments in the field.
- The Pacific Air Chiefs Symposium 2019 (PACS 2019) is being held at the Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam in Hawaii, USA. Air Chief Marshal Rakesh Kumar, Chief of the Indian Air Force, is set to participate in this symposium. The theme for this year’s symposium is ‘A Collaborative Approach to Regional Security’. The PACS 2019 has the objective to further strengthen the existing cooperation between the Air Forces of the participating countries.
- An early delivery request has been made by India for the Meteor air-to-air missiles from France. These missiles are crucial for India to take on the AMRAAM missiles, which were supplied by the USA, of the Pakistan Air Force. The Meteor missiles have a delivery range that could possibly take over all the other air forces in the region. The delivery was scheduled for late 2020 but India is now insisting for immediate delivery of at least ten such missiles along with the first set of Rafale fighter jets. The range of these missile is 150 kms and they have a no escape zone of 60 km, which is the largest in the world, according to its manufacturers.
- India has been ranked as the fifth worst country in terms of extensive and invasive use of biometric data. This is based on a report from Comparitech, which is a British tech research firm. However, the poor ranking of India is relatively lower in the list of worst countries for biometric data collection after the law enforcement authorities were not given permission to access the national biometric database known as Aadhar. The worst country on the list is China while the best country is the United Kingdom is terms of collection, storage and use of biometric data.
- The 2nd edition of the Startup India Global Venture Capital Summit will be held from 6th December to 7th December 2019 in Goa for the fund managers and limited partners of Top Global Venture Capital firms. This summit is being organized by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade that comes under the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry and the Government of Goa. The theme for the summit is ‘India Opportunity – Investing in tomorrow together.’ The first edition of the summit was held in 2018, also in Goa. The objective of the summit is to showcase the opportunity that India potentially has in sectors of EdTech, E-Mobility, FinTech, MedTech, Genomics, Enterprise Software and Life Sciences.
- The Indian Space Research Organization is setting up Space Technology Cells at five premier institutes in the country – IISc Bengaluru, IIT-Kharagpur, IIT-Bombay, IIT-Madras and IIT-Kanpur. These cells will carry out research activities related to space technology and will consist of professors and scholars associated with the university. At present, IIT-Roorke, DRDO and ISRO are working together on “thin membrane-based technology to develop parachutes for fighter aircraft” for over past three decades.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Which community is not included in the list of communities hailing from Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh that the Government seeks to provide citizenship to?
Q2. India signed a Joint Declaration of Intent (JDI) with which country regarding strategic cooperation on railway projects?
Q3. The Pacific Air Chiefs Symposium 2019 (PACS 2019) is being held in which US state?
Q4. Which country is supposed to be delivering the Meteor air-to-air missiles to India?
Q5. Which country, according to the report released by Comparitech, is the best when dealing with storage, use and collection of biometric data?
- United Kingdom
Q6. DRDO and ISRO are working together on “thin membrane-based technology to develop parachutes for fighter aircraft” for over past three decades with which premier institute of the country?