Current Affairs Capsule – 7 November 2019
- November 7, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) released the draft regulations for school children titled ‘Food Safety and Standards (Safe Food and Healthy Diets for School Children) Regulations, 2019’. It completely bans the sale of soft drinks, potato wafers and other junk food within 50 meters of school campuses. The HFSS (High in Fat, Salt and Sugar) food also cannot be sold in school canteens, mess premises or hostel kitchens.
- The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), in coordination with the Union Jal Shakti Ministry, organized the ‘Ganga Utsav’ in the Major Dhyan Chand Stadium on 4th November in New Delhi to mark the 11th anniversary of Ganga being declared as the national river. To create awareness and gather public participation in efforts to clean River Ganga and its tributaries, it is celebrated every year on 4th November because Ganga was declared as the country’s national river on 4th November, 2008.
- The Freedom House, an international internet watchdog, released its Freedom on the Net (FoTN) report 2019 titled ‘The Crisis of Social Media’ on 5th November, 2019. India, with an overall score of 55, was reported to be “partly free” while China obtained a score of 10 and was adjudged “not free”. Also, China was termed the worst abuser of internet freedom for the fourth consecutive year. Pakistan, with a score of 26, was declared as “not free” in terms of freedom status for the ninth consecutive year. Iceland, with an overall score of 95, was ranked the highest.
- The Ministry of Commerce and Industry has allocated a separate HS code for the signature fabric of India to boost exports of Khadi. HS stands for “Harmonized System” and is a six-digit identification code, developed by the World Customs Organization (WCO). The customs officers use HS Code to clear every commodity that enters or crosses any international border. Founded in 1952, the WCO is an inter-governmental organization headquartered in Brussels, Belgium.
- The Union Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE), in collaboration with IBM, has launched the “Skills Build” platform on 4th November, 2019. As part of the programme, a two-year advanced diploma in IT, networking and cloud computing, co-created and designed by IBM, will be offered at the Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) & National Skill Training Institutes (NSTIs).
- Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) – 2019, a bilateral navy exercise between the US and Bangladesh Navy is being conducted in Chattogram (or Chittagong City) in Bangladesh. It is being conducted annually since 2011 in the Bay of Bengal. Exercise CARAT is a series of annual bilateral military exercises conducted by the United States Pacific Fleet with several member nations of the ASEAN in Southeast Asia.
- The 6th Parliamentary Speakers Summit of G20 countries was held in Tokyo, Japan from 3rd November to 5th November, 2019. An Indian parliamentary delegation led by Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla attended the summit. The Group of Twenty (G20), founded in 1999, is a leading forum of the world’s major economies that seeks to develop global policies to address today’s most pressing challenges.
- The ATITHI app has been launched by Nirmala Sitharaman, Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, to facilitate hassle-free and faster clearance by customs authorities at the airports and enhance the experience of international tourists and other visitors at the airports. ATITHI, which is a mobile app for international travellers to file the Customs declaration in advance, would encourage tourism and business travel to India.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Which is the national river of India?
Q2. Which country topped the Freedom on the Net (FoTN) report 2019 with the highest score?
- The US
Q3. What is the overall score of India in the Freedom on the Net (FoTN) report 2019?
Q4. When was the World Customs Organization (WCO) founded?
Q5. In collaboration with which of the following company did the Union Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE) launch the Skills Build platform?
Q6. When was the first edition of CARAT, a bilateral US-Bangladesh navy exercise held?
Q7. Where was the 6th Parliamentary Speakers Summit of G20 countries held?
- New Delhi