Current Affairs Capsule – 8 October 2019
- October 8, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The World Space Week is celebrated every year from 4th to 10th October to mark the launch of the first human-made earth satellite “Sputnik-1” on 4th October, 1957. The theme for this year is ‘The Moon: Gateway to the Stars’. The World Space Week Association began to coordinate the World Space Week from 1980. In 1981, the Space Week headquarters was formed in the US to organize a nation-wide celebration in the US.
- Jal Shakti Ministry launched an initiative “Ganga Aamantran” to connect stakeholders of the Ganga river. It is an open-water rafting and kayaking expedition that is to be held on the Ganges between 10th October and 11th November, 2019. It will start at Devprayag and will end at Ganga Sagar, covering 2,500 km in the Ganges. It is the first and largest campaign in Indian history to create awareness about River Rejuvenation and Water Conservation on a large scale.
- Peter Ratcliffe of Britain and William Kaelin and Gregg Semenza of US shared the 2019 Nobel Medicine Prize for their work on how oxygen levels affect cellular metabolism. The trio will share a prize money of USD 914,000. It has paved the way to understand the strategies to fight cancer, anemia and other diseases. The first Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine was awarded in 1901 to the German physiologist Emil Adolf von Behring.
- Odisha Chief Minister inaugurated the 39th World Congress of Poets at the Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology with the theme ‘Compassion through Poetry’. Vice President Venkaiah Naidu attended the event. The World Congress of Poets (WCP) was founded in 1969 and was held at Manila, Philippines for the first time. It is being organized by the World Academy of Arts and Culture (WAAC).
- The first World Cotton Day was observed across the world on 7th October, 2019 to recognize the resilience of farmers. The day was organized by the World Trade Organization in collaboration with the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNTCD), International Trade Center and International Cotton Advisory Committee.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina signed several Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) on connectivity, trade, transport and defense on 5th October, 2019. The countries decided to operationalize the Dhulian–Gadagari–Rajshahi–Daulatida–Aricha route and the Daukandi–Sonamura route.
- The Union Health Ministry released its data on the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY), which aims to help economically vulnerable Indians, who are in need of healthcare facilities. According to the report, every year, there are 11.57 lakh new cancer patients in India and 7.84 lakh cancer deaths. There are around 22.5 lakh Indians living with cancer at a given point of time and Tamil Nadu tops the list with 40,056 cases.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Which is the first human-made earth satellite?
Q2. When was the first Nobel Prize in medicine awarded?
Q3. When was the World Congress of Poets (WCP) founded?
Q4. On which day is the World Cotton Day observed?
- October 5
- October 6
- October 7
- October 8
Q5. Which state tops the list of number of cancer patients in India?
- Tamil Nadu
- Andhra Pradesh