Current Affairs Capsule – 8 September 2019
- September 8, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- High Commissioner of India to Canada Vikas Swarup inaugurated the Indian Pavilion at the 44th Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) at Toronto, Ontario, Canada, on 6th September, 2019. It will provide a platform to showcase Indian Cinema in overseas market and facilitate new business opportunities. Founded in 1976, TIFF’s mission is to transform the way people see the world through film.
- Vice President of India M. Venkaiah Naidu released the Books on President’s speeches titled ‘Loktantra Ke Swar (Khand 2)’ in Hindi and ‘The Republican Ethic (Volume 2)’ in English at the Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra in New Delhi. The second volume of books is a compilation of 95 speeches delivered by the President of India Ram Nath Kovind during his second year in office starting July 2018 to July 2019.
- Senior Supreme Court lawyer Ram Jethmalani passed away on 8th September, 2019 at the age of 95. He worked as the Minister for Law and Urban Development in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee Cabinet. He also served as the Chairman of the Bar Council of India. In 2011, he fought the multi-crore 2G scam cases. He also fought some of the famous cases such as Hawala Scam, Arun Jaitely defamation case against Arvind Kejriwal, Fodder Scam case and Sahara-SEBI case.
- Canadian Bianca Andreescu defeated Serena Williams by 6-3, 7-5 to win the US Open 2019 women’s singles title. The 19-year-old became the first Canadian singles player to win a Grand Slam event. Serena Williams has won 23 Gram Slam titles in singles. Andreescu is also the first woman to win the trophy at the Flushing Meadows in her tournament debut in the Open era. After open era, which began in 1968, professionals were allowed to participate in the majors.
- Department of Pensions & Pensioners’ Welfare (DoP&PW), Union Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions organised the 31st Standing Committee of Voluntary Agencies (SCOVA) meeting at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. The meeting was chaired by Dr. Jitendra Singh, Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space.
- The International Day of Charity is observed across the world on 5th September annually to recognise the role of charity in alleviating human sufferings within and among nations. United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) declared the observance of the day by adopting resolution A/RES/67/105PDF on 17th December, 2012. The day, which was celebrated for the first time in 2013, commemorates the death anniversary of Mother Teresa.
- Bangladesh’s Nobel Laureate Prof. Muhammad Yunus has been awarded the Vatican’s prestigious ‘Lamp of Peace of Saint Francis’ award for his contribution towards establishing peace and harmony. Muhammad Yunus was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize 2008 for founding the Grameen Bank and pioneering concepts of microcredit and microfinance. The award was first presented by the Vatican in 1981.
- Union Ministry of Jal Shakti organised the Swachh Mahotsav 2019 at Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi on 6th September 2019. On this occasion, President of India Ram Nath Kovind presented the Swachh Bharat Awards in various categories for outstanding contribution to Swachh Bharat Mission. Indian Railways was awarded the Best Ministries for Implementation of Swachhata Action Plan for 2018-19.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) founded?
Q2. ‘Loktantra Ke Swar (Khand 2)’ book that is a compilation of 95 speeches delivered by ____
- President Ram Nath Kovind
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Vice President Venkaiah Naidu
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh
Q3. Who won the US Open 2019 women’s singles title?
- Serena Williams
- Naomi Osaka
- Bianca Andreescu
- None of the above
Q4. On which day is the International Day of Charity observed across the world?
- September 5
- September 6
- September 7
- September 8
Q5. Who has been awarded the Vatican’s prestigious ‘Lamp of Peace of Saint Francis’ award in 2019?
- Sheikh Yunus
- Muhammad Salman
- Muhammad Yunus
- None of the above
Q6. When was the Vatican’s prestigious ‘Lamp of Peace of Saint Francis’ award first presented?
Q7. ____________ was awarded the Best Ministries for Implementation of Swachhata Action Plan for 2018-19?
- Union Ministry of Jal Shakti
- Finance Ministry
- Ministry of Human Resource Development
- Indian Railways