CURRENT AFFAIRS CAPSULE – 9 AUGUST 2019
- August 9, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Union Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has unveiled the draft Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) for coastal zone management, prepared by the Society for Integrated Coastal Management, a MoEFCC-affiliated body, as part of a World Bank-funded project. It lays out guidelines for coastal States to adopt, when they approve and regulate projects in coastal zones.
- Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan was presented the ‘Excellence in Cinema’ honour at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM) 2019, at the iconic Palais Theatre in Melbourne, which is one of the city’s heritage landmarks. Celebrated with the theme ‘Courage’, the year 2019 marks the 10th edition of the festival in the cultural city of Australia. The IFFM was founded in 2012.
- Pakistan’s Railways’ Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed announced that the Samjhauta Express train services that linked India and Pakistan have been permanently stopped by Pakistan. This sudden suspension has left the Samjhauta Express stranded at Wagah. Citing security threats, Pakistan asked India to send its own staff to take the train further.
- Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) chaired by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has accorded approval for procurement of indigenous Software Defined Radio (SDR) and Next Generation Maritime Mobile Coastal Batteries for the Indian Navy on 8th August, 2019 in New Delhi. The SDR is a communication system which will enable information sharing through high-speed data and secure voice communication with anti-jamming capability.
- President Ram Nath Kovind conferred India’s highest civilian honour Bharat Ratna on former President Pranab Mukherjee and posthumously on social activist Nanaji Deshmukh and singer Bhupen Hazarika. The other Presidents, who had been conferred the Bharat Ratna include Dr. Rajendra Prasad, S Radhakrishnan, Zakir Hussain and VV Giri. The award was instituted on 2nd January, 1954.
- The World Archery (WA) suspended the Archery Association of India (AAI) on 8th August, 2019 for defying its guidelines by electing two parallel bodies. The AAI had to find a solution by the end of July as per the deadline given by the WA’s executive board. Since no progress has been made, the WA implemented the suspension order.
- National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE) signed an agreement with the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) to initiate a skill development programme for different levels of beneficiaries in solar thermal energy sector. NISE is an autonomous institution of Ministry of New and Renewable (MNRE). Established on 17th November, 1966, the UNIDO is headquartered in Vienna, Austria.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who was presented the ‘Excellence in Cinema’ honour at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM) 2019?
- Amitabh Bachchan
- Shah Rukh khan
- Ranbir Kapoor
- Rajni Kanth
Q2. When was the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM) founded?
Q3. Who among the following has not been conferred with the Bharat Ratna?
- Pranab Mukherjee
- Pratibha Patil
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad
- Zakir Hussain
Q4. When was the Bharat Ratna instituted?
Q5. When was the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) established?