Current Affairs Capsule – 9 October 2019
- October 9, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) celebrated its 87th anniversary on 8th October at the Air Force Station Hindan near Ghaziabad. On this occasion, Air Chief Marshal R K S Bhadauria, Army Chief Bipin Rawat and Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Karambir Singh paid tributes at the National War Memorial in New Delhi. The IAF was founded on 8th October, 1932.
- With the discovery of twenty new moons of Saturn, it has become the planet with the highest number of moons in the solar system. It has a total of 82 moons against Jupiter’s 79, which was the highest till date. This discovery was made at the Subaru Telescope Setup atop Hawaii’s Mauna Kea Volcano by a team of astronomers led by Sheppard. The newly discovered moons belong to the Norse group.
- In the Global Competitiveness Index published by the World Economic Forum, Singapore was ranked first, followed by the US. India was ranked 68th among a total of 141 countries. In the category of corporate governance, India was ranked 15 whereas in the category of life expectancy, it secured a rank of 109. India ranked 118 in incentivization and 107 in skills. The Global Competitiveness Index is being published since 2004.
- The C40 Summit is scheduled to be held in Copenhagen from 9th to 12th October, 2019 to build the global coalition of cities, citizens and businesses that rallies around the ambitious climate action that the earth needs right now. The C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40) is a group of 94 cities around the world that represent one twelfth of the world’s population and one quarter of the global economy. The summit was launched in London in 2005.
- The Ministry of Science and Technology launched a new set of crackers called “eco-friendly crackers”, developed by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), on 6th October, 2019. Theses crackers help in reducing the particulate emissions by 30% by producing the same light and sound effect. In 2018, the Supreme Court directed the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) to monitor the levels of metals in the atmosphere before and after Diwali.
- Defense Minister Raj Nath Singh arrived in France on 7th October, 2019 for a two-day visit. He will receive the Rafale Fighter Jets that were manufactured for India and will also meet the French President Emmanuel Macron. He will also hold an annual defense dialogue with his French counterpart.
- Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan is on a three-day visit to China from 8th October, 2019. Both the countries will participate in high level talks regarding the 60 billion USD China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), which includes projects in hydropower, steel mills and oil refinery.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the IAF founded?
Q2. What is the highest number of moons that any planet in the solar system has?
Q3. Which country topped the Global Competitiveness Index 2019?
Q4. When was the C40 summit launched?
Q5. Eco-friendly crackers help in reducing the particulate emissions by ________
Q6. Who is the manufacturer of Rafale Fighter Jets?