Current Affairs Capsule – 11 December 2019
- December 11, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Lok Sabha passed The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2019, under which any person belonging to the Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Jain, Parsi or Christian faith from Afghanistan, Bangladesh or Pakistan will not be considered an illegal immigrant, if the person entered into India on or before December 31, 2014. The bill provides for such refugees to be eligible for Indian citizenship after residing in India for five years, instead of 11 years earlier. It also makes amendments to the provisions related to OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) cardholders.
- International Anti-Corruption Day is observed every year across the world on 9th December to raise public awareness about corruption and of the role of the United Nations Convention against Corruption in fighting and preventing it. This year, the theme is ‘United Against Corruption’. The United Nations General Assembly on 31st October, 2003, adopted the Convention and designated December 9th as International Anti-Corruption Day. This convention came into force in the year 2005 and since then, the day is being observed annually. The global campaign #UnitedAgainstCorruption focuses on corruption as one of the biggest obstacles to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Human Library, an international non-profit organization, organised a Human Library, a concept which seeks to replace books with humans, for the first time in Mysuru, Karnataka. This event provides readers of human library the opportunity to borrow Human Books and to engage in conversation with the books. Also known as The Human Library Organization, Human Library is a registered international non-profit organization headquartered in Copenhagen, Denmark. It was initially launched in the year 2000 and currently exists in more than 85 countries.
- A Nationwide GST (Goods and Services Tax) Stakeholder Feedback Diwas for new GST returns was observed on 7th December, 2019 to get an on-the-spot response to the new GST Returns to be introduced from 1st April, 2020. As per the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC), about 7,500 trade associations/stakeholders participated in the programme.
- The government has approved the setting up of seven Frequency Modulation (FM) transmitters at premises of the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) to strengthen the FM coverage along the Indo-Nepal border. The projects would be in three states namely Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand. Set up in 1963, Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) is one of the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) in India and is currently under the administrative control of the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
- President of India Ram Nath Kovind conferred the National Florence Nightingale Awards to 36 awardees in New Delhi on 5th December, 2019 on the occasion of International Nurses Day. The World Health Organisation (WHO) also announced the year 2020 as the ‘Year of Nurses and Midwives’. The Florence Nightingale Awards were constituted in 1973 by the Union Government to recognize the meritorious services rendered by the nurses to the society as a whole.
- Minister for Petroleum & Natural Gas and Minister of Steel Dharmendra Pradhan chaired the first meeting of the Consultative Committee of the Members of Parliament (MPs) of THE Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas on 5th December 2019. The committee informed that the government is working towards a transformative change in energy sector by ushering in gas-based economy by increasing share of gas in India’s primary energy mix from current 6.2% to 15% by 2030.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Since when is the International Anti-Corruption Day being observed?
Q2. When was the Human Library launched?
Q3. On which day was the GST (Goods and Services Tax) Stakeholder Feedback Diwas observed?
- December 6
- December 7
- December 8
- December 9
Q4. When was the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) set up?
Q5. When were the National Florence Nightingale Awards constituted?