Current Affairs Capsule – 12 December 2019
- December 12, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- India and Australia held their 3rd combined dialogue of the defence and foreign secretaries on 9th December, 2019 in New Delhi. Defense Secretary Ajay Kumar and Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale led the Indian side while Australia’s Defense Secretary Greg Moriarty and Foreign Secretary Frances Adamson led the Australian side. At this 2+2 dialogue, the two countries resolved to enhance collaboration in tackling terrorism and violent extremism through increased information sharing and meeting other global challenges.
- The National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) and Aramco Asia signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the development of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) Ecosystem in India in the Oil & Gas Sector. The MoU will pave a way for the accredited Indian MSMEs to carve out a space as vendors in the global space. Founded in 1955, the NSIC functions under the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.
- India moved one spot up to 129 among 189 countries in the 2019 Human Development Index, published by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) on 9th December, 2019. The rankings were listed by the report titled ‘Beyond Income, Beyond Averages, Beyond Today: Inequalities in Human Development in the 21st century’. Norway topped the list followed by Switzerland. The Human Development Index uses Gender Inequality Index, Multi-dimensional Poverty Index (MPI), life-expectancy, per-capita income and education. The report was first published in 1990.
- The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) successfully launched its latest RADAR imaging satellite (RISAT) and nine commercial satellites from other nations, including the US and Israel, in a PSLV launch on 11th December, 2019. The 628-kg RISAT 2BR1, which is a part of the reconnaissance series, was placed in an orbit of 576 km. The satellite is expected to bolster the country’s border monitoring measures besides aiding in disaster management, agriculture and tracking forest cover.
- Sanna Marin, the 34-year-old transport minister of Finland, has become the world’s youngest sitting Prime Minister after she was selected by the Social Democratic party of Finland to become the prime minister of the country. She will take over charge from the outgoing leader Antti Rinne, who had resigned earlier.
- The Integrated Command and Control Centre (ICCC), which will provide multifaceted online smart services to people, has been inaugurated by the Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar in Gurgaon on 7th December, 2019. The Center has been built at a cost of Rs. 38 crores.
- The Armed Forces Flag Day or the Flag Day of India is observed annually in India on 7th December for the collection of funds from people of India for the welfare of the Indian Armed Forces personnel. The day is being observed every year since 1949 to honour the soldiers, sailors and airmen of India.
- Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) Prakash Javadekar represented India at the 25th session of Conference of Parties (COP) under the UN framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC COP25) in Madrid, Spain on 10th December, 2019. A yearbook was launched at the conference that called on the governments to strengthen the UNFCCC agenda post 2020. A report on oceans titled “Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate (SPROCC)” was also released.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) founded?
Q2. Which country topped the 2019 Human Development Index (HDI)?
Q3. What is the rank achieved by India in the 2019 Human Development Index?
Q4. Who is the world’s youngest prime minister?
- Justin Trudeau
- Sanna Marin
- Angela Merkel
- Kim Jong-un
Q5. On which day is the Armed Forces Flag Day observed?
- December 5
- December 6
- December 7
- December 8