Current Affairs Capsule – 16 December 2019
- December 16, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Andhra Pradesh Assembly passed the Andhra Pradesh Criminal Law (Amendment) bill, which is also known as Disha Bill, which mandates that cases involving crimes against women must be settled in 21 days through special courts. The bill also proposes death penalty for rape convicts in cases of sufficient evidence to conclusively prove the crime, among other provisions.
- The Ministry of External Affairs hosted the 6th Indian Ocean Dialogue and Delhi Dialogue XI in New Delhi on 13th December and 14th December, 2019. For the first time, these two Track 1.5 dialogues, which are key elements of the Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) and the India-ASEAN calendars respectively, will be held consecutively, and on similar, Indo-Pacific themes. The theme for the 2019 IOD is ‘Indo-Pacific: Re-imagining the Indian Ocean through an Expanded Geography’. The theme for the 2019 Delhi Dialogue is ‘Advancing Partnership in Indo-Pacific’.
- The National Financial Reporting Authority (NFRA) has issued the Audit Quality Review (AQR) report of the statutory audit for the year 2017-18 of the IL&FS Financial Services Limited (IFIN). The statutory auditor for this engagement was Deloitte Haskins and Sells LLP (DHS). This is the first AQR report of the NFRA since its constitution on 10th October, 2018. It was conducted pursuant to Section 132(2)(b) of the Companies Act, 2013 and the NFRA Rules, 2018.
- FICCI India Sports Awards 2019 were bestowed upon sportspersons and these awards recognized the contribution of sportspersons and various stakeholders for the year. The Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) was established in 1967. The Sports Person (Female) was awarded to Rani Rampal (Hockey), Sports Person (Male) was awarded to Saurabh Chaudhary (shooting) and Best National Sports Federation was presented to the National Rifle Association of India. The Best State Promoting Sports was won by Odisha.
- The Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare organised the three-day International Seminar on Climate Smart Farming systems for BIMSTEC countries on 11th December, 2019 in New Delhi. The seminar was attended by all the seven BIMSTEC countries – Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Nepal, Bangladesh, India, Thailand and Myanmar. The objective of the seminar is to improve the tropical small holder farming system that is resilient to climate change and provide greater productivity.
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved the signing of the Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) between the Government of India and Government of Japan to constitute the ‘India-Japan Steel Dialogue’ to strengthen cooperation in steel sector. It will help in capacity building for high grade steel manufacturing in India. The ‘India-Japan Steel Dialogue’ envisages enhancement of mutual understanding to secure sustainable growth in the steel sector.
- The Parliament passed the Arms (Amendment) Bill, 2019 that seeks to enhance the punishment for existing offences on 10th December, 2019. It amends the Arms Act, 1959. This Bill reduces the number of permitted firearms under Arms Act, 1959 from three to one. The bill also increases the duration of validity of a firearm license from 3 years to 5 years.
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved ex-post facto the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO) and the Saudi Food and Drug Authority in the field of the Medical Products Regulation, which was signed on 29th October, 2019 during the visit of Mr. Modi to Saudi Arabia. It would facilitate better understanding of the regulatory aspects between the two sides and help in increasing India’s export of medical products to Saudi Arabia. It will also enable better coordination in international fora.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Which state’s assembly passed the Disha Bill?
- Andhra Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
Q2. Where was the 6th Indian Ocean Dialogue held?
- New Delhi
Q3. Who won the Sports Person (Female) at the FICCI India Sports Awards 2019?
- PV Sindhu
- Vinesh Phogat
- Rani Rampal
- Mithali Raj
Q4. Where was the International Seminar on Climate Smart Farming systems held?
- New Delhi
Q5. Arms (Amendment) Bill, 2019 amends the Arms Act, ________