Current Affairs Capsule – December 17, 2019
- December 17, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The World Design Organization is going to launch its new global programme “World Design Protopolis” in Bengaluru, which is aimed at implementing holistic progress in megacities across the world and thus making them sustainable. The project also aims to measure the progress of the city, attract investments and solve problems so that the city becomes a better place for citizens. The World Design Organization was founded in 1957 as the International Council of Societies of Industrial Design.
- Punjab Governor and Union Territory Administrator VP Singh Badnore inaugurated the 3rd edition of the coveted Military Literature Festival (MLF), which was held from 13th December to 15th December, 2019 in Chandigarh. The festival would bring together the finest men from battle grounds and literary fields to discuss a watershed of information on defence issues.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has been named first in the Forbes’ 2019 edition of 100 World’s Most Powerful Women for the ninth consecutive year. She has made 14 appearances in the list’s 16-year history. Christine Lagarde moved up one place this year at the second position after taking over as the President of the European Central Bank (ECB) this year. Speaker of the U.S. House of Representative Nancy Pelosi took third place and Ursula Von Der Leyen, President of the European Commission was fourth. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman was ranked 34th in the list.
- National Energy Conservation Day is observed every year on 14th December to showcase India’s achievements in energy efficiency and conservation. Being organised every year by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) under the Ministry of Power since 1991, the day aims to drive mass awareness about the importance of energy efficiency and conservation.
- Around 73 countries have joined the Climate Ambition Alliance (CAA), which is led by Chile, at the COP25. The CAA was launched at the Climate Action Summit, New York in 2019. Both Chile and United Kingdom will work together to mobilize additional actors to join the alliance and also towards COP26 that is to be held in November 2020 at Glasgow, UK. The CAA will focus on the Nationally Determined Contributions in order to achieve Net Zero Carbon Emissions by 2050.
- Time magazine has announced Greta Thunberg (16), a Swedish climate crisis activist, as the Person of the Year. Thunberg was recognized for starting an environmental campaign in August 2018, which became a global movement, initially skipping school and camping out in front of the Swedish Parliament to demand action. Others, who were recognized by the Time for the year 2019, are: Athlete of the Year – US Women’s Soccer Team, Guardians of the Year – the US Public Servants, Entertainer of the Year – Singer Lizzo and Business Person of the Year – Disney CEO Bob Iger.
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) and Nasscom Foundation have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to develop a common 24×7 helpline number and a mobile application ‘Food Donation in India’ to donate food to the needy and prevent food wastage. Initially, the network of 81 such organizations across India, known as the Indian Food Sharing Alliance (IFSA), will be a part of the platform.
- UNESCO Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP) announced that it will train school teachers and enable them to adopt technology in classrooms in cooperation with Dell India for the ‘Dell Aarambh’ programme. The programme will aid the Government of India’s step of introducing Artificial Intelligence as a subject in school.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Where will the World Design Protopolis be launched?
- New Delhi
Q2. Who has topped the Forbes’ 2019 edition of 100 World’s Most Powerful Women?
- Christine Lagarde
- Angela Merkel
- Nancy Pelosi
- Greta Thunberg
Q3. On which day is the National Energy Conservation Day observed?
- December 10
- December 12
- December 14
- December 16
Q4. How many countries have joined the Climate Ambition Alliance (CAA)?
Q5. Which country is the lead country for the Climate Ambition Alliance (CAA)?
Q6. Who won the Time’s Person of the Year?
- Hong Kong protestors
- Greta Thunberg
- Nancy Pelosi
- The Whistleblower