Current Affairs Capsule – December 20, 2019
- December 20, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Government of India has launched the National Broadband Mission (NBM) with an aim to provide an internet connection to all the villages by 2022. The vision of the NBM is to fast track growth of digital communications infrastructure, bridge the digital divide, facilitate digital empowerment and inclusion and provide affordable and universal access of broadband for all. Union Minister for Communications Ravi Shankar Prasad launched the mission, which is a part of the National Digital Communications Policy, 2018.
- The U.S. House of Representatives impeached President Donald Trump on charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. Donald Trump, the 45th President of America, has become the third President in the country to be impeached. Earlier, the impeachment process was held against Andrew Johnson in 1868 and Bill Clinton in 1998, but both the leaders managed to save their seats. The Senate, where the Chief Justice of America will preside over the trial, decides whether the President should be convicted on the charges and removed from office.
- Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) officer B P Raju was awarded the ‘India Cyber Cop of the Year 2019’ by the National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) – Data Security Council of India (DSCI) during the Annual Information Security Summit held at Gurgaon, Haryana, for investigating and cracking a fraud case in an online entrance exam conducted by an engineering college in Rajasthan.
- The first ever Global Refugee Forum was held in Geneva, Switzerland from 17th December to 18th December, 2019 to give impetus to efforts to achieve the compact’s objectives and translate international solidarity into concrete action. It was jointly hosted by the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) along with the Government of Switzerland.
- India has been ranked 112th out of 153 countries in the World Economic Forum’s Global Gender Gap Index 2020 released on 17th December, 2019. India was ranked 108th in 2018. Iceland continued to be the most gender-equal country in the world for the 11th time in a row. India has slipped to the 150th place on health and survival, 112th on educational attainment and 149th in economic participation. The Global Gender Gap Report was first published in 2006.
- India will host the 36th International Geological Congress (IGC) under the theme ‘Geosciences: The Basic Science for a Sustainable Development’ in New Delhi during the first week of March 2020. Popularly known as the ‘Olympics of Geosciences’, IGCs are a prestigious global geoscientific events held once in four years and participated by nearly 5000 to 6000 geoscientists from all across the world.
- The Confederation of Indian Industry organized ‘Steeling India 2019: Driving Metal Intensity In Key Sectors’ conference, to increase metal intensity in key user sectors, especially in rural India. The meeting focused on Infrastructure and Housing, Automobile and Railways, Water and Irrigation. It also highlighted ways to achieve an optimized supply chain from steel producers to customer demand.
- The Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) has launched a dedicated matrimonial site for its staff, which will be managed by the ITBP and only the staff will be able to access it. This is the first -ever dedicated and well-managed matrimony portal among the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF). There are more than 25,000 unmarried men and more than 1000 unmarried women in the Force. Raised on October 24, 1962, the ITBP is one of the five Central Armed Police Forces of India.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Donald Trump has become the ___________President in the USA to be impeached
Q2. Who won the ‘India Cyber Cop of the Year 2019’?
- Rajesh Kumar
- Suniel Verma
- BP Raju
- K Ravi Sharma
Q3. Where was the first Global Refugee Forum held?
- New Delhi
- New York
Q4. What is the rank achieved by India in the World Economic Forum’s Global Gender Gap Index 2020?
Q5. When was the first Global Gender Gap Report published?
Q6. Who will host the 36th International Geological Congress (IGC)?