Current Affairs Capsule – December 21, 2019
- December 21, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and External Affairs Minister (EAM) Dr S Jaishankar met the US Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T Esper and Secretary of State Michael R Pompeo in Washington DC, USA on 18th December, 2019 for the second annual India-US 2+2 Ministerial Dialogue. At the dialogue, both the countries signed Industrial Security Annex that will enhance technology transfer and information exchange. Three agreements under the Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI) were also signed that will help in co-developing critical technologies. The first edition of the dialog was held in 2018.
- The International Migrants Day is observed every year on 18th December to protect the rights of the migrants. The theme for this year is ‘Social Cohesion, Celebrating the integration of migrants into communities around the world’. The United Nations General Assembly on 18th December, 1990 adopted a resolution on the International Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of Their Families.
- Sahitya Akademi announced 25 writers as the winners of its awards this year on 18th December, 2019. Seven books of poetry, four novels, six short stories, three non-fiction books and three essays have won the award this year. Writer and Congress MP Shashi Tharoor is also among the winners of this year in the creative non-fiction category in English literature for his novel ‘An Era of Darkness’ published in 2016. Sahitya Akademi Awards, first awarded in 1954, are one of the highest literary awards in the country.
- Supersonic cruise missile BrahMos was successfully test-fired from a base in Odisha’s Chandipur. It is a medium-range ramjet supersonic cruise missile capable of being launched from submarines, warships, fighter jets or land. BrahMos is a joint venture between India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and NPOM of Russia.
- Anand Mahindra will step down as the Executive Chairman of the Mahindra Group and will be non-executive chairman with effect from April 1st, 2020. The company’s Managing Director Pawan Kumar Goenka will be re-designated as the MD and CEO with effect from April 1st, 2020 and will continue in this new role for a year till his retirement on April 1st, 2021.
- Virat Kohli replaced Salman Khan as the first person in the Forbes India Celebrity 100 List 2019 with an earning of Rs 253 crore in the year 2019. Akshay Kumar secured 2nd place this year followed by Salman Khan at third. Forbes has selected the celebrities on the basis of their earnings and their fame on print-social media. Wrestler Bajrang Punia debuted at number 94 with earnings of ₹2.4 crore.
- Portugal Prime Minister Antonio Costa, announced the Gandhi Citizenship Education Award at the second meeting of the National Committee for Commemoration of the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi at New Delhi on 19th December 2019. The aim of the award is to help perpetuate Mahatma Gandhi’s ideals and will be dedicated to social welfare.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the first India-US 2+2 Ministerial Dialogue held?
Q2. On which day is the International Migrants Day observed every year?
- December 16
- December 17
- December 18
- December 19
Q3. When were the first Sahitya Akademi Awards awarded?
Q4. Who is the first person in the Forbes India Celebrity 100 List 2019?
- Shah Rukh Khan
- Virat Kohli
- Akshay kumar
- Salman Khan
Q5. Which country has announced the Gandhi Citizenship Education Award?