Current Affairs Capsule – December 22, 2019
- December 22, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Indian Navy conducted a large scale anti-hijacking exercise called Apharan at the Cochin port on 18th December, 2019 to streamline the response mechanism. It focused on the preparedness of the navy to thwart any attempt to hijack a merchant vessel or attempt forced entry of a rogue or commandeered merchant vessel into the Kochi harbour. The Indian Navy, in collaboration with the Indian Coast Guard, Cochin Port Trust and other concerned stakeholders, organised the exercise.
- India has emerged as the third largest publisher of science and engineering articles in the world with publications of about 1,35,788 articles in 2018 as per the latest report by the US National Science Foundation (NSF). China, with about 5,28,263 published scientific articles in 2018, which account for 20.67% of the total global publications, topped the list. The United States with about 4,22,808 global publications in science and engineering articles in 2018 secured second place.
- Navy Chief Admiral Karambir Singh is on a four-day visit to Sri Lanka between 19th December to 22nd December, 2019 to consolidate and enhance bilateral maritime relations between the two countries. He will hold bilateral discussions with the Commander of the Sri Lankan Navy Vice Admiral KKVPH De Silva, the Services Chiefs and other senior government officials.
- Uttarakhand hosted the 11th Regional Quality Conclave (RQC) on 20th December, 2019 at Rudrapur, Uttarakhand, organized by the Quality Council of India (QCI) along with the PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PHDCCI). The QCI aims to reach out to the industries in the hilly regions of the country through this conclave. The theme of the Rudrapur RQC was ‘Advance Manufacturing with Quality, Innovation & Technology Interventions.’
- Infosys announced the launch of three blockchain-powered distributed applications for government services, insurance and supply chain management domains. These comprehensive applications designed as ready-to-subscribe business networks ensure quick deployment, interoperability across disparate systems of value chain stakeholders and a wide variety of use cases involving other digital technologies like Internet of Things (IoT) and Analytics as well.
- Secretary of the Department of Commerce in the Ministry of Commerce and Industry and GeM Chairman Aup Wadhawan launched GeM Samvaad, a national outreach programme to bring on board more local sellers. The programme will take place from 19th December, 2019 to 17th February, 2020 and will cover all the states and union territories of the country. GeM is a short form of the one stop Government e-Market Place, where common user goods and services can be procured.
- The Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry has announced the setting up of the first ever Special Economic Zone (SEZ) in Tripura on 16th December, 2019. It will be a Sector Specific Economic Zone for Agro-Based Food Processing at an estimated investment of around Rs. 1550 Crore. The SEZ, to be developed by the Tripura Industrial Development Corporation, will focus on rubber based industries and agri-food processing industries.
- Australian all-rounder Ellyse Perry has been named as the winner of the Rachael Heyhoe-Flint Award for the ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year for the second time. She has also been named as the ICC Women’s ODI Player of Year. Alyssa Healy (Aus) has been named as the Women’s T20 Cricketer of the Year. Chanida Sutthiruang of Thailand won the ICC Women’s Emerging Player of the Year. Indian opener Smriti Mandhana was named in both ODI and T20 teams of this year. Australian Meg Lanning was chosen as the captain of both ODI and T20 team.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who conducted the exercise called Apharan?
- Indian Army
- Indian Navy
- Indian Air Force
- All of the above
Q2. Which is the largest publisher of science and engineering articles in the world?
Q3. Where was the 11th Regional Quality Conclave (RQC) held?
- New Delhi
- Uttar Pradesh
- Andhra Pradesh
Q4. Who among the following announced the launch of three blockchain-powered distributed applications for government services, insurance, and supply chain management domains?
Q5. When was the GeM Samvaad launched?
Q6. Who has been named as the winner of the Rachael Heyhoe-Flint Award for the ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year?
- Alyssa Healy
- Chanida Sutthiruang
- Ellyse Perry
- Meg Lanning