Current Affairs Capsule – December 27, 2019
- December 27, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Atal Bhujal Yojana (ATAL JAL) for sustainable management of ground water resources on 25th December, 2019 in New Delhi. The Central Government has allocated Rs. 6000 crores for this scheme from which Rs. 3000 crore will be given by the World Bank and Rs. 3000 crores is to be spent by the government. It will be implemented in seven states – Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
- The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) has approved the creation of the post of the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS). The officer to be appointed as Chief of Defence Staff will be a four-star general, who will also head the Department of Military Affairs. The purpose of creating the Chief of Defence Staff post is to increase the coordination between the three armed forces – Indian Army, Navy and Air Force. The CDS will act as the principal military adviser to the defence minister on all tri-services matters.
- The Union Cabinet, presided by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, decided to name the strategic tunnel under the Rohtang Pass in Himachal Pradesh after former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee in a tribute to him on his 95th birth anniversary on 25th December, 2019. The historic decision to construct the tunnel was taken on 3rd June, 2000 when Mr. Vajpayee was the prime minister. The 8.8 km long tunnel will be the world’s longest tunnel above an altitude of 3,000 metres and will reduce the distance between Manali and Leh by 46 kilometres.
- Major Anoop Mishra has been awarded the Army Design Bureau (ADB) Excellence Award by Indian Army Chief Gen. Bipin Rawat for indigenously developing ‘Sarvatra Kavach’, a bulletproof jacket that can provide full-body protection against sniper rifle bullets. The awards were conferred at the Army Technology Seminar (ARTECH) held on 23rd December 2019 at the Manekshaw Centre in New Delhi.
- Indian Air Force Chief RKS Bhaduria is on a four-day visit to Egypt from 24th December to 28th December, 2019 to strengthen long-standing relations between India and Egypt. He is scheduled to visit various operational and training establishments of the Egyptian Air Force and interact with senior officials of the Egyptian Armed Forces. During the defence exercise AFINDEX-19 hosted by India, Egypt participated along with other African countries like Niger, Ghana and Uganda.
- Harsh Vardhan Shringla, Indian ambassador to the US and one of the senior most diplomats, has been appointed as the new Foreign Secretary for a tenure of two years starting from 29th January, 2019. He will succeed Vijay Keshav Gokhale. HV Shringla is a 1984-batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer. He has also served as the Ambassador to Thailand (from 2014 to 2016) and High Commissioner to Bangladesh.
- Indian Railways has opened an Oxygen Parlour at the Nashik railway station in Maharashtra to combat rising air pollution. It aims to provide an experience of breathing clean air to the commuters. The initiative comes with the efforts of the Air Guard in collaboration with the Indian Railways. The Oxygen Parlour is based on the recommendation of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. What is the allocated budget for the Atal Bhujal Yojana (ATAL JAL)?
- 300 crore
- 3000 crore
- 600 crore
- 6000 crore
Q2. After whom has the strategic tunnel under the Rohtang Pass in Himachal Pradesh been named?
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Jawahar Lal Nehru
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Indira Gandhi
Q3. Who has been awarded the Army Design Bureau (ADB) Excellence Award?
- Anirudh Verma
- Anoop Mishra
- Surendra Kumar
- Vinod Mishra
Q4. Who has been appointed as the new Foreign Secretary of India?
- Vijay Keshav Gokhale
- S Jaishankar
- Harsh Vardhan Shringla
- K Ramesh Gupta
Q5. Where is the Oxygen Parlour opened by the Indian Railways?
- Secundrabad railway station
- Nashik railway station
- Mumbai railway station
- Madras railway station