Current Affairs Capsule – December 29, 2019
- December 29, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The United Nations General Assembly on 27th December, 2019 adopted a USD 3.07 billion operating budget. The budget for the first time includes funding for the investigation of war crimes in Syria and Myanmar. The budget represents a slight increase from that of 2019 of USD 2.9 billion. The United Nations has categorized its spending in to five general groups -humanitarian assistance (34%), development assistance (24%), peacekeeping operations (19%), knowledge-creation operations (16%) and technical cooperation (7%).
- RBI released its biennial report ‘Financial Stability Report’ on 27th December, 2019. As per the report, the non-performing asset (NPA) ration is expected to increase to 9.9% by September 2020 from 9.3% in September 2019. The report also stated that capital to risk weighted assets ratio (CRAR) improved to 15.1% in September 2019 from 14.3% in March 2019. The Provision Coverage Ratio of banks increased to 61.5% in September 2019 from 60.5% in March 2019.
- Union Territory of Ladakh celebrated the Losar Festival on 27th December, 2019 to mark the Ladakhi or Tibetan New Year and this is also the time when Tibetans offer prayers and perform a host of rituals. The Losar Festival in Ladakh is celebrated in the 11th month of the year. The actual Losar celebrations will be held from 5th February to 7th February, 2019.
- Minister of State for Personnel Dr Jitendra Singh launched the ‘Good Governance Index’ on the occasion of Good Governance Day on 25th December, 2019. Tamil Nadu topped the index in the big states’ category followed by Maharashtra and Karnataka. In the north-east and hill category, Himachal Pradesh topped the ranking followed by Uttarakhand. Among the union territories, Pondicherry bagged the first position followed by Chandigarh.
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved over Rs. 3,941.35 crore for updating the National Population Register (NPR) across the country, barring Assam, and Rs. 8,754.23 crore for conducting the Census of India, 2021. Both the exercises will be conducted simultaneously through door-to-door enumeration, commencing from April 2020 to September 2020.
- The nation paid homage to the great revolutionary, Shaheed Udham Singh on his 120th birth anniversary on 26th December, 2019. He was born on this day in 1899 in the Sangrur district of Punjab. Udham Singh was present in the Jallianwala Bagh, Amritsar on the fateful Baisakhi Day of 13th April, 1919. He avenged the massacre by killing General O’Dwyer in March 1940 and was hanged by the British in London.
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding between the Republic of India and the Federative Republic of Brazil on Bioenergy Cooperation. Brazil is currently the world’s second largest producer and consumer of biofuels and biofuels. The MoU provides a framework to cooperate and promote investment in biofuel, bioelectricity and biogas supply-chains, including feedstock, industrial conversion, distribution and end use sectors.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who released the Financial Stability Report?
- World Economic Forum
- Reserve Bank of India
- World Bank
- Asian Development Bank
Q2. The Losar Festival is celebrated in _______
Q3. Which state topped in the Good Governance Index 2019 in the big states’ category?
- Andhra Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
Q4. Who killed General O’Dwyer in March 1940?
- Bhagat Singh
- Udham Singh
- Bal Gangadhar Tilak
- Lala Lajpat Rai
Q5. The Union Cabinet approved the signing of the MoU between India and _________ on bioenergy cooperation.
- Saudi Arabia