Current Affairs Capsule – December 30, 2019
- December 30, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Union Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister Prakash Javadekar released the India State of Forest Report (ISFR) 2019 on 30th December, 2019. The ISFR is a biennial exercise that covers an inventory of forest, tree cover, bamboo resources, carbon stock and forest fires. As per the report, the country’s tree and forest cover has increased by 5,188 square kilometres in 2019 from 2017. Forests alone cover 712,249 sq.km., which is equivalent to 21.67% of the country’s geographical area. It is 0.12% more than that of 2017’s. The top three states showing an increase in forest cover are Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala respectively.
- Indian Grandmaster Koneru Humpy defeated China’s Lei Tingjie in the final to win the 2019 Women’s World Rapid Chess Champion title in Moscow, Russia. The World Rapid Chess Championship is a chess tournament being held since 1987, to determine the world champion in chess played under rapid time controls.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched eBkray, an online auction platform to increase the transparency in auctioning of assets attached by banks. A total of 35,000 properties were uploaded on the platform by Public Sector Banks (PSBs). The site is equipped with property search tools and navigational links to all PSB e-auction sites.
- The All India Radio (AIR) organised the National Symposium of Poets 2020 on 27th December, 2019, which was attended by selected poets of all 22 languages recognized in the Constitution. Being organised every year since 1956, the National Symposium of Poets is broadcasted on the eve of Republic Day at all the centres of AIR at 10:00 PM. The All India Radio was established in 1936.
- Congress leader Rahul Gandhi inaugurated the National Tribal Dance Festival that will be held from 27th December to 29th December, 2019 in Raipur, Chhattisgarh. It is being organized in Chhattisgarh for the first time. It is an annual festival celebrated by the aborigines and tribal of India. The Union Ministry of Tribal Affairs organises the festival annually during the month of December in collaboration with the respective state governments.
- The LPG bottling plant was inaugurated at Balangir in Odisha by Odisha Governor Ganeshi Lal. Built at a cost of Rs 103 crores, it is a factory where liquid petroleum gas (LPG) is filled into the bottles or cylinders. It has been set up by the Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL). Founded in 1976, the BPCL is India’s second largest downstream oil company.
- All new recruits in railways will be inducted through the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) civil services exams under five specialities. The decision comes after the Cabinet approved the merger of its eight services into one – the Indian Railway Management Service (IRMS). The Chairman of the Railway Board, who will also be the CEO of the national transporter, will be an officer of the Indian Railway Service.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. What is the percentage of forest cover in India as per the India State of Forest Report (ISFR) 2019?
Q2. Which state has the highest increase in forest cover in 2017-19?
- Andhra Pradesh
Q3. Since when is the National Symposium of Poets being organised?
Q4. Where is the National Tribal Dance Festival 2019 organised?
Q5. Where is the LPG bottling plant inaugurated?
Q6. When was the Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) founded?