Current Affairs Capsule – December 31, 2019
- December 31, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- India is expected to overtake Germany to become the fourth-largest economy in 2026 and Japan to become third largest in 2034, according to a recent report by UK-based Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) titled ‘World Economic League Table 2020’. The report also stated that India would achieve a gross domestic product (GDP) of $5 trillion by 2026, two years later than the current government target.
- The Jharkhand Cabinet led by Chief Minister Hemant Soren in its first meeting decided that all cases related to the Pathalgadi movement of tribals, which were registered in 2018 by the previous state government, will be withdrawn. It includes all cases registered during the Pathalgadi movement and protests against the amendments to the Chotanagpur Tenancy Act (CNT Act) and the Santhal Paragana Tenancy Act, 1949 (SPT Act). The JMM Executive President Hemant Soren took oath as the 11th Chief Minister of Jharkhand on 29th December, 2019.
- President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the Dadasaheb Phalke Award on veteran actor Amitabh Bachchan at the Rashtrapati Bhawan on 29th December, 2019 for his outstanding contribution to the film industry. Amitabh Bachchan made his debut in the Hindi film industry in 1969 with “Saat Hindustani”. The award is named after Dhundiraj Govind Phalke, who is revered as the “Father of Indian Cinema”. It was instituted in the year 1969.
- China has successfully launched its largest carrier rocket, Long March-5, in a major step towards its planned mission to Mars in 2020. It was launched from the Wenchang Space Launch Center (WSLC) in South China’s Hainan Province, carrying the Shijian-20 satellite. The rocket, which is also known as CZ-5, is China’s heaviest and most advanced communications satellite.
- The Government of India constituted a seven-member Group of Ministers (GoM) on 27th December, 2019 to fast-track and oversee the implementation of the Rs 69,000 crore revival plan for state-owned telecom corporations BSNL and MTNL. The crucial elements of the revival plan include workforce, business viability, monetization, issue of bonds and 4G spectrum allotment. Group of Ministers are appointed by the Government of India under the Transaction of Business Rules, 1961.
- The Union Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation on 28th December, 2019 constituted a Standing Committee on Statistics under India’s first Chief Statistician Pronab Sen to review the framework for economic indicators pertaining to the industrial sector, the services sector and the labour force statistics. The 28-member committee, which consists of experts from both within and outside the government, will meet for the first time on 6th January, 2020.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has directed large cooperative banks to report all exposures of five crore rupees and more to the Central Repository of Information on Large Credits (CRILC) for early detection of financial distress. Aggregate exposure will include all fund-based and non-fund based exposure including investment exposure on the borrower. To start with, the Primary (Urban) Co-operative Banks (UCBs) will be required to submit the CRILC report on a quarterly basis with effect from December 31, 2019.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. As per the report ‘World Economic League Table 2020’, India would achieve a gross domestic product (GDP) of $5 trillion by ______
Q2. Who has been conferred the Dadasaheb Phalke award in 2019?
- Ranbir Kapoor
- Amitabh Bachchan
- Rishi Kapoor
- Rajesh Khanna
Q3. When was the Dadasaheb Phalke award instituted?
Q4. To which country does the rocket carrier Long March-5 belong to?
Q5. The Government of India constituted a _________-member Group of Ministers (GoM) to fast-track and oversee the implementation of the revival plan for BSNL and MTNL.
Q6. Who is the head of the Standing Committee on statistics?
- Pranab singh
- Pronab Sen
- Piyush Goyal
- Praveen Kumar