Current Affairs Capsule – 10 December 2019
- December 10, 2019
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Indian Representative to Palestine Sunil Kumar released the third tranche of funding worth 3 million USD for the construction of the India-Palestine Techno Park in Palestine. India had made a commitment of investing 12 million USD as a part of India’s broader framework of capacity building in Palestine. The park aims to create an environment that supports the processes of industrialization and commercialization.
- Former Secretary of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas Girish Chandra Chaturvedi has been appointed as the new Chairman of the leading stock exchange National Stock Exchange (NSE) after an approval from the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI). He is currently on the board of ICICI Bank and is a member of government-appointed board of the Infrastructure Leasing and Financial Services Ltd (IL&FS). He will succeed Ashok Chawla who resigned from the post in January 2019.
- Assam Government has set up 15 Anti-Depredation Squads of the Forest Department to deal with human-wildlife conflicts in the state. It aims to mitigate the problem and ensure safety of both humans and wildlife. The state forest department engaged specially trained 50 frontline staff to handle conflict situations. According to the Assam Forest Department, a total of 359 people died in man-elephant conflicts in the state in the past four years.
- Environment think tank, Germanwatch released the Global Climate Risk Index 2020, which assessed 181 countries on 4th December, 2019. As per it, Japan is the most vulnerable country to climate change, followed by Philippines, Germany, Madagascar and India. Besides seeing one of the worst floods in Kerala, India’s east coast was hit by two cyclones – Titli and Gaja -in October and November 2018.
- The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has set up five Space Technology Cells (STCs) at premier institutions – Indian Institute of Technologies (IITs) in Bombay, Kanpur, Kharagpur & Madras and the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) in Bengaluru. ISRO has also initiated a Joint Research Programme with the Savitribai Phule Pune University. The move aims to carry out research activities in the areas of space technology and applications. ISRO desires development of high-end technology in collaboration with IITs in the areas of Space Science, Space Technology and Space Applications.
- Oxford Dictionary has declared ‘climate emergency’ as the “word of the year” for 2019. The use of the term “climate emergency” increased by a hundredfold since 2018, according to the data collected in the Oxford Corpus. The “Word of the Year” citation is intended to highlight a word or expression shown through usage evidence to reflect the ethos, mood or preoccupations of the passing year, and have a lasting potential as a term of cultural significance.
- The Union Home Ministry has sanctioned an amount of 100 crore rupees from the Nirbhaya Fund for setting up and strengthening of Women Help Desks in police stations across the country. The officials of the Women Help Desk would be trained to be sensitive towards women.
- The Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), which will be effective for five years, with the Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) on 5th December, 2019 to cooperate, collaborate and pursue industrial application oriented research programmes and its commercialization in large scale. The indigenously developed technologies by the CSIR will be commercialised and implemented jointly by BHEL and CSIR in the country, to make the Government of India initiative “Make in India” successful.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who has been appointed as the new Chairman of the leading stock exchange National Stock Exchange (NSE)?
- Ashok Chawla
- Girish Chandra Chaturvedi
- Karthik Verma
- Ajay Mishra
Q2. Which state has set up the Anti-Depredation Squads of the Forest Department to deal with human-wildlife conflicts?
- Madhya Pradesh
- West Bengal
Q3. What is the rank achieved by India in the Global Climate Risk Index 2020?
Q4. In which of the following institutes is the Space Technology Cell not going to be set up?
- IIT Bombay
- IIM Ahmedabad
- IISc Bengaluru
- IIT Kanpur
Q5. What is the Oxford Dictionary’s “word of the year” for 2019?
- Climate action
- Climate emergency
- Climate denial
Q6. Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) signed a MoU to make the Government of India initiative __________ successful
- Digital India
- Ayushman Bharat
- Make in India
- Accessible India