Current Affairs Capsule – February 10, 2020
- February 10, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Amazon Data Services India Private Limited (ADSIPL) is to set up two data centres at a cost of Rs 11,624 crore ($1.6 billion) on the outskirts of Hyderabad. They would help in developing an Amazon Web Services region in Telangana. The Government of Telangana has framed a dedicated policy for data centres under which the government will provide incentives to the firms that set up data centres in the state.
- Union Minister for Coal & Mines Pralhad Joshi launched a web portal for star rating of coal mines on 10th February, 2020 in New Delhi. The move aims to promote green, safe and sustainable mining practices using technology as a tool. The portal enables all operational coal mines across India for self-rating, their subsequent validation by the Coal Controller’s Organization (CCO), further evaluation and finally, award of star rating.
- World Pulses Day is being celebrated every year on 10th February since 2019 by the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations to recognize the importance of pulses (dry beans, lentils, dry peas, chickpeas, lupins) as a global food. The day aims to bring attention to activities and information connected to the pulse sector worldwide.
- National Deworming Day is observed every year on 10th February in India to deworm children and adolescents to reduce the prevalence of parasitic worms in the intestine. On this day, children and adolescents in the age group of 1 to 19 years will be administered single dose of a safe medicine “Albendazole” in all states and Union Territories. It was launched in 2015. As per WHO, 64% of the Indian population that is less than 14 years are at a risk of Soil Transmitted Helminths (STH) infections.
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami on 9th February, 2020 declared the Cauvery delta region as a protected agricultural zone. The protected zone will include Thanjavur, Tiruvarur, Nagapattinam districts and delta regions of Trichy, Ariyalur, Cuddalore and Pudukkottai. In 2019, the Centre had proposed hydrocarbon project, which was to be executed by the Vedanta Limited and Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) Limited. When a land is announced as a “Protected Agricultural Zone”, it cannot be used for any other non-agricultural activities.
- African Union Summit of 55 African nations was held under the theme ‘Silencing the Guns’ in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa to tackle terrorism in the continent. South African President Cyril Ramaphosa will assume the rotating AU chair for 2020. India has recently signed the defence agreement, Lucknow Declaration with 50 African countries at the DefExpo 2020. The 2020 summit has adopted eight resolutions as: compromise with the United Nations over co-funding in peace operations, to support elections in Ethiopia and to mediate events of disputes, to deter leaders in Guinea to use Constitutional Amendments to hold on to power, to help to calm Burkina Faso’s insurgency, to push Somali Government towards regional compromise, to press East African heads to support South Sudan peace process and to support Sudan transition by supporting deal between civilian leaders and security forces.
- Kaamya Karthikeya, a Mumbai girl, became the youngest girl to climb Mt. Aconcagua, the highest peak in South America and outside Asia. The 12-year-old summited the mountain peak of 6962 metres on 1st February and unfurled the tricolor. Kaamya is a class 7 student of the Navy Children School in Mumbai.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. On which day is the World Pulses Day observed?
- February 8
- February 10
- February 12
- February 11
Q2. When was the first World Pulses Day celebrated?
Q3. As per WHO, ________% of the Indian population that is less than 14 years are at risk of Soil Transmitted Helminths (STH) infections.
Q4. When was the National Deworming Day launched?
Q5. Who will chair African Union in 2020?
- South Africa