Current Affairs Capsule – February 12, 2020
- February 12, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- World Radio Day is celebrated every year on 13th February to increase awareness about radio among media and public. This year theme is Radio and Diversity. The first World Radio Day is celebrated in 2012. The day is celebrated by UNESCO on 13th February, the anniversary of the day that the United Nations established the United Nations Radio in 1946. It also intends to spread the message that radio is a crucial medium of communication to celebrate intercultural competence, humanity and democratic citizenship.
- Government of India launched the School Health Ambassador Initiative as a part of Ayushman Bharat on 12th February, 2020 to spread awareness about the preventive health aspects. Under the initiative, two teachers will be identified in every government school as ‘health and wellness ambassadors’. It aims to foster growth, development and educational achievements of school-going children by promoting their health and well-being.
- Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, was apprised of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Iceland in the field of Fisheries. The MoU was signed on 10th September, 2019. The MoU will strengthen the existing friendly relations between India and Iceland and will enhance consultation and cooperation on Fisheries including consultation on bilateral issues. As per the pact, there is a provision for facilities for exchange of scientists and technical experts and their proper placement, especially in areas of estimating total allowable catches in offshore and deep sea areas.
- World Health Organization’s chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus announced that the name for the new coronavirus disease is ‘COVID-19’. The “CO” stands for coronavirus, “VI” for virus and “D” for disease. The coronavirus itself is called “nCoV-2019”. It comes after the death toll from the virus passed 1,000. Tens of thousands of people have been infected.
- The US has approved the sale of an Integrated Air Defence Weapon System to India for an estimated cost of $1.867 billion on 11th February, 2020. With this, India aims to modernise its armed forces and expand its existing air defence architecture to counter threats posed by air attacks. The Integrated Air Defense Weapon System (IADWS) includes air defence weapon systems, AMRAAM missiles, NASAMS-II, surface-to-air missiles, radars, etc.
- The International Day of Women and Girls in Science is celebrated every year on 11th February to recognise the critical role women and girls play in science and technology. The day aims to promote full and equal access to participation in science for women and girls. The theme for this year was Investment in Women and Girls in Science for Inclusive Green Growth. The United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution on 22nd December, 2015 to mark the day.
- BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise 2020 that is to be held in Bhubaneswar from 11th to 13th February, 2020 was inaugurated by the Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik. Organized by National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), the exercise aims to test the existing emergency procedures for notification, preparedness and emergency response, during a major earthquake and flood scenarios and to enhance the coordination and co-operation involving multi-agency operations in an earthquake, flooding and storm surge.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. On which day the World Radio Day is celebrated?
- February 11
- February 12
- February 13
- February 14
Q2. When was the United Nations Radio established?
Q3. What did WHO name the new coronavirus disease?
Q4. On which day the International Day of Women and Girls in Science is celebrated?
- February 8
- February 9
- February 10
- February 11
Q5. Where will be the BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise 2020 held?