Current Affairs Capsule – February 14, 2020
- February 14, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- World Pangolin Day is celebrated every year on the third Saturday of February month to create awareness about these unique mammals and their rapidly declining population in Asia and Africa. The demand for pangolins comes mostly from China, where pangolin scales are believed to have high medicinal properties and its flesh is considered a delicacy. The first World Pangolin Day was celebrated in February 2012.
- Global spending on defence rose by 4% in 2019, the largest growth in 10 years, led by big increases in the US and China, the annual ‘Military Balance’ report by the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) stated. The report said the increase alone in US spending from 2018 to 2019, which is $53.4 billion, was almost equal to Britain’s entire defence budget. Both the US and China increased spending by 6.6 percent to $684.6 billion and $181.1 billion respectively. Europe, driven by ongoing concerns about Russia, stepped up by 4.2 percent. The IISS is a British Research Institute that was established in 1997.
- Portuguese president Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa and Minister for Culture and Tourism Prahlad Patel jointly inaugurated the Cha-Chai art work at the National Museum, New Delhi, on 14th February, 2020. Cha-Chai, an installation of art work by Joana Vasconcelos, represents the tradition of serving tea in Portugal that originated in the 17th century. India and Portugal are collaborating to develop various cultural projects in India. Cha-Chai, a wrought-iron sculpture shaped as a teapot, and its iron railings represent the bridge between urban and rural landscape.
- The International Hockey Federation (FIH) named the Indian men’s hockey team captain Manpreet Singh as the Player of the Year for 2019 on 13th February, 2020. Manpreet, a midfielder, became the first Indian to win the accolade since the awards were introduced in 1999. He has been the Indian National Hockey team captain since 2017 and is known for his best sportsmanship and patriotism.
- The President of India Ram Nath Kovind awarded the President’s Colour to INS Shivaji, Lonavala, commanded by Commodore Ravnish Seth, on 13th February, 2020. The Indian Naval Station Shivaji has completed 75 years of service to the country by providing training to the personnel from Coast Guard, Indian Navy and also for Naval personnel from other countries. The President’s Colour is the highest honour that can be bestowed upon any military unit.
- Union Minister for Home Affairs Amit Shah inaugurated the two-day BIMSTEC Conference on Combating Drug Trafficking, organised by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) in New Delhi on 13th February, 2020. The main objective of the conference is to control the illicit drug trading plaguing the Bay of Bengal states. The conference highlighted the need for all nations to join hands in fighting drug trafficking and provided a platform to devise coordinated strategies in ending the evil from its roots.
- Union Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) Nitin Gadkari on 13th February, 2020 in New Delhi launched ‘Apiary on Wheels’, a unique concept designed by the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) for the easy upkeep and migration of Bee Boxes having live Bee colonies. Apiary on Wheels will prevent any damages to the bee boxes or bee colonies and help produce quality honey. KVIC launched Honey Mission in 2017 and has been training beekeepers, distributing Bee Boxes and helping rural, educated but unemployed youth to earn extra income through beekeeping activities, at their doorstep.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the first World Pangolin Day celebrated?
Q2. What was the global rise in the spending in defence sector in 2019?
Q3. Who has been named as the Player of the Year for 2019 by the International Hockey Federation (FIH)?
- Jaspreet Singh
- Manpreet Singh
- Sushil Kumar
- Surbinder Singh
Q4. Where was the BIMSTEC Conference on Combating Drug Trafficking organised?
- New Delhi
Q5. When was the Honey Mission launched by KVIC?