Current Affairs Capsule – February 17, 2020
- February 17, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Government of India on 11th February, 2020 renamed the National Institute of Financial Management (NIFM) in Faridabad as the Arun Jaitley National Institute of Financial Management (AJNIFM) after the former Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley. He was awarded the Padma Vibhushan, India’s second highest civilian award, posthumously in 2020 in the field of Public Affairs. NIFM Faridabad was established in 1993 as a registered society under the Department of Expenditure in the Ministry of Finance. It is responsible for the training of officers of various Finance and Accounts Services recruited by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) as well as the officers of the Indian Cost Accounts Service (ICoAS). The Union Finance Minister is the President of the NIFM Society.
- The Central Government on 13th February, 2020 renamed the Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra and the Foreign Service Institute in New Delhi after the former External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj as the “Sushma Swaraj Bhawan” and the “Sushma Swaraj Institute of Foreign Service” respectively. Sushma Swaraj was a Supreme Court lawyer and had served as the 5th Chief Minister of Delhi. She was awarded the Padma Vibhushan posthumously in 2020 in the field of Public Affairs.
- Government of India renamed the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA) as the ‘Manohar Parrikar Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses’ on 18th February, 2020 to honour the legacy of late Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar. He served as the Chief Minister of Goa from 14 March 2017 until his death. He was awarded Padma Bhushan posthumously in January 2020.
- Union Minister for Earth Sciences Dr Harsh Vardhan, and Norway’s Minister for Climate and Environment H.E. Mr Sveinung Rotevatn opened the India-Norway Task Force on Blue Economy for Sustainable Development on 18th February, 2020. The task force was launched during the visit of Norwegian Prime Minister Ms. Erna Solberg in January 2019. The two countries also signed a Letter of Intent (LoI) to confirm that they will develop a new framework for collaboration on Integrated Ocean Management and Research.
- Indian Navy Chief Admiral Karambir Singh is on a four-day trip to Naypyitaw, Myanmar from 17th February to 20th February, 2020 to strengthen the bilateral maritime relationship. During his visit, he will hold bilateral discussions with Admiral Tin Aung San, Commander-in-Chief Myanmar Navy and will also call on Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, Commander-in-Chief Defence Services.
- Supreme Court of India on 17th February, 2020 upheld the Delhi High Court’s judgement of granting permanent commission to women officers in the Indian Army. Earlier, permanent service commission for women were not allowed, especially in combat units. In 2010, the Delhi High Court had ordered the government to provide women permanent commission but the government argued that the physiological limitations and social norms of women are not efficient. The Supreme Court directed the government to grant permanent commission to women officers who have already worked as short service commission officers in the Indian Army.
- Bio-Asia Summit 2020 will be hosted by the government of Telangana from 17th February to 19th February, 2020 under the theme ‘Today for Tomorrow’. The main objective of the summit is to explore the capabilities of Life Science Companies and their investments. The summit will be attended by researchers, investors, conglomerates, start-ups and health care representatives. They will focus on the needs of the evolving Life Science industry.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. National Institute of Financial Management (NIFM) is renamed after _______
- Sushma Swaraj
- Manohar Parrikar
- Arun Jaitley
- Piyush Goyal
Q2. Manohar Parrikar was awarded ___________ posthumously
- Padma Shri
- Padma BhushanPadma Vibhushan
- Bharat Ratna
Q3. India-________ Task Force on Blue Economy for Sustainable Development was launched in January 2019.
Q4. What is the theme of the Bio-Asia Summit 2020?
- Today & Tomorrow
- Today for Tomorrow
- Today & Tomorrow for Environment
- Today, Tomorrow, Forever
Q5. Where will the Bio-Asia Summit 2020 be held?
- New Delhi