Current Affairs Capsule – February 19, 2020
- February 19, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- ‘A Future for the World’s Children?’, a report that ranks 180 countries, comparing performance on child flourishing, was released by a Commission of the World Health Organization (WHO), UNICEF and The Lancet on 19th February, 2020. India ranked 77th on a sustainability index that takes into account per capita carbon emissions and 131st on a flourishing ranking that measures the best chance at survival and well-being for children.
- Government of India is to set up the Central Consumer Protection Authority (CCPA) under the Consumer Protection Act, 2019 by the first week of April 2020. The CCPA will address issues related to consumer rights, unfair trade practices, misleading advertisements and impose penalties for selling spurious and adulterated products. The Consumer Protection Bill, 2019 was approved the Parliament in 2019 replacing Consumer Protection Act, 1986.
- Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram celebrated their 34th Statehood Day on 20th February, 2020. In 1972, the North East Frontier Agency was named Arunachal Pradesh and granted Union Territory status. Later in 1987, Arunachal Pradesh attained its statehood. Similarly, Mizoram got its name after the Lushai Hills district was declared a union territory in 1972. The Mizoram Peace Accord was signed between the Mizo National Front and the Union Government on June 30, 1986 and after the accord, Mizoram attained statehood on February 20, 1987.
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Conclave 2020: Partnerships, Cooperation and Development of North Eastern States, which will see participation from state governments, central ministries, academia and civil society, will be organised in Guwahati, Assam from 24th February to 26th February, 2020 by NITI Aayog. It will focus on SDG localisation in the northeast, economic prosperity and sustainable livelihoods, climate adaptive agriculture, health and nutrition, education, skill development and entrepreneurship, connectivity and infrastructure development & inequality and exclusion.
- The Delhi International Airport Ltd (DIAL) has declared that the “Indira Gandhi International Airport” of Delhi has become India’s first single-use plastic-free airport. The CII-ITC Centre of Excellence for Sustainable Development, that supports the business community towards achieving sustainability, has certified DIAL for its successful voluntary implementation of single-use plastic-free airport measures within IGI Airport’s operations.
- Times Higher Education’s (THE) Emerging Economies University Rankings 2020 with an analysis of total 533 universities from 47 countries and territories was released on 18th February, 2020. Eleven universities of India were ranked in the top 100 this year. According to the THE, with 30 varsities, China has more universities in the top 100 than India. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore fell by two places to 16, followed by the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Kharagpur and IIT-Bombay at 32nd and 34th positions respectively. IIT Delhi improved by 28 places and was at 38th rank.
- Union Minister of State for Shipping Mansukh Laxmanbhai Mandaviya laid the foundation stone for a 50-metre high green lighthouse at Dhanushkodi in Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu on 18th February, 2020. It will facilitate navigation to 33 to 37 km from the sea shore. The 5th lighthouse in the district is to be built at a cost of Rs 7 crore. It will guide fishermen and will also act as tourist attraction.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. What is India’s rank on a flourishing ranking that measures the best chance at survival and well-being for children as per UN backed report?
Q2. What is India’s rank on a sustainability index that takes into account per capita carbon emissions as per UN backed report?
Q3. When did Mizoram attain statehood?
- February 21, 1986
- February 20, 1987
- February 22, 1986
- February 21, 1987
Q4. How many universities of India were ranked among top 100 of the Times Higher Education’s (THE) Emerging Economies University Rankings 2020?
Q5. What was the rank of Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in THE Emerging Economies University Rankings?