Current Affairs Capsule – February 22, 2020
- February 22, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises has launched a National Level Awareness Programme (NLAP) 2020 from 17th February to 28th February, 2020 to spread awareness about the schemes and activities undertaken by the Ministry and its attached organisations. The awareness programmes are being organised across the country to disseminate information amongst students of colleges and educational institutes.
- The Cabinet Committee on Security chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the procurement of 24 MH-60R multi-role helicopters worth $2.6 billion for the Indian Navy from the US on 19th February, 2020. The 24 Lockheed Martin helicopters will be procured through the foreign military sales (FMS). The helicopters will enhance India’s capability to perform anti-surface and anti-submarine warfare missions. The helicopters will support search and rescue, vertical replenishment and communications relay missions.
- Union Minister for Petroleum, Natural Gas and Steel Dharmendra Pradhan announced that the Government aims to make Chhattisgarh a steel hub of the country. During his two-day visit to Chhattisgarh, Union Steel Minister visited the Bhilai Steel Plant in Durg district and held meetings with the plant officials. He also held a discussion with the representatives of MSMEs to promote steel ancillaries in the region by developing a supporting local eco-system.
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Palakkad will be setting up a research centre – Centre for Research and Education in Data Science (CREDS) – on its campus at Kanjikode for providing quality education and research and to develop data science and artificial intelligence. CREDS would foster active collaboration with industries, government and other academic institutes and research labs.
- Maharashtra Government has launched a special drive to destroy the cultivation centres of the exotic Thai Mangur fish because it is cultivated in highly unhygienic conditions, which may lead to people falling sick after consuming it. The decision was taken at a meeting between fish traders and officials of the Maharashtra fisheries department headed by Minister Aslam Shaikh. The National Green Tribunal banned it in 2000 and a fresh order was also issued regarding the same in January 2019.
- The fourth anniversary of the launch of Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission (SPMRM) was observed on 21st February, 2020. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched the Mission on this day in 2016 with a vision to deliver catalytic interventions to rural areas on the threshold of growth. Undertaken by the Union Ministry of Rural Development, the SPMRM focuses on cluster-based integrated development through Spatial Planning. The Mission aims to transform identified urban clusters by stimulating local economic development, enhancing basic services, and creating well planned urban clusters.
- The Reserve Bank of India has unveiled a National Strategy for Financial Inclusion 2019-24, which aims at providing access to formal financial services in an affordable manner. The Financial Inclusion Advisory Committee of the RBI, in consultation with the Centre, Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI), Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) and Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority of India (PFRDA) has recommended various ways in which the objectives can be fulfilled. The committee has recommended – universal access to financial services, the Public Credit Registry shall be made completely operational by March 2022. Every adult registered under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana shall be enrolled in the pension scheme and insurance scheme and Digital Financial Services shall be strengthened to reach a less-cash society by 2022.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. The Government aims to make ________________a steel hub of the country
- Uttar Pradesh
Q2. The Cabinet Committee on Security approved the procurement of 24 MH-60R multi-role helicopters from ________
- The US
- The UK
Q3. Which state has recently launched a special drive to destroy the cultivation centres of the exotic Thai Mangur fish?
- Tamil Nadu
Q4. When did the National Green Tribunal ban the cultivation centres of the exotic Thai Mangur fish?
Q5. When was the Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission (SPMRM) launched?