Current Affairs Capsule – February 23, 2020
- February 23, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Rear Admiral Sanjay Jasjit Singh AVSM, NM took over as the Commandant of the Naval War College, Goa on 18th February, 2020. Prior to this appointment, he was the Flag Officer Commanding, Western Fleet. He was the lead drafter of the Indian Navy’s Maritime Doctrine 2009, Strategic Guidance to Transformation 2015 and the Indian Maritime Security Strategy 2015.
- India will host the 2022 AFC Women’s Asian Cup as announced by the Asian Football Confederation’s (AFC) Women’s Committee in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. India hosted the tournament in 1979, when the event was organised by the Asian Ladies Football Confederation (ALFC), a separate body which became a part of the AFC in 1986.
- Chairman of Railway Board Vinod Kumar Yadav launched Human Resources Management System (HRMS) Mobile App on 20th February, 2020 to bring transparency between the railway employees and administration. The app has been designed and developed by the Centre for Railway Information System (CRIS). Through this app, all employees of the Indian Railways can now see data related to their service and communicate with administration for any changes, if required.
- Nepal celebrated its 70th National Democracy Day on 19th February, 2020. Every year, Falgun 7 of the Nepali calendar is commemorated as the National Democracy Day in Nepal to commemorate the attainment of democracy after the abolition of the 104-year long autocratic Rana Regime. In 2007, Bikram Sambat, on this day, democracy was established in the Himalayan nation ending over a century-old autocratic Rana regime.
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah and his Maldivian counterpart Sheikh Imran Abdulla held discussion about ways to further strengthen the ties between the two countries during a four-day visit of Abdulla to India. The ministers discussed bilateral cooperation in the fields of counter-terrorism and counter-radicalization. India was among the first to recognise Maldives after its independence in 1965 and to establish diplomatic relations with the country.
- The Ideal Legislative Assembly Speaker/Ideal Legislative Council Chairman Award 2019 was presented to the Speaker of the Kerala Legislative Assembly P. Ramakrishnan by the Vice President of India M. Venkaiah Naidu on 20th February, 2020 at the 10th edition of Bharatiya Chhatra Sansad being held from 20th February to 23rd February, 2020 in New Delhi. The award recognises the significant contribution made by the Honourable Speaker in strengthening and safeguarding the best legislative practices in the state.
- The International Judicial Conference on the topic ‘Judiciary and The Changing World’ was held in New Delhi on 22nd February, 2020. Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the one-day conference held under the theme ‘Gender Just World’. The Conference focused on the need for technology to deliver rapid justice. The conference discussed the changes brought by the Government of India to bring gender equality including recruitment of women in military service, changes in the selection process of fighter pilots and the freedom to work at night in the mines.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who took over as the Commandant of the Naval War College, Goa?
- Sarabjeet Singh
- Anil Kumar
- Sanjay Jasjit Singh
- Surinder Pal Singh
Q2. Who will host the 2022 AFC Women’s Asian Cup?
Q3. Nepal celebrated its ___________National Democracy Day on 19th February, 2020
Q4. Who was presented the Ideal Legislative Assembly Speaker/ Ideal Legislative Council Chairman Award 2019?
- Speaker of Karnataka Assembly
- Speaker of Kerala Assembly
- Speaker of Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Speaker of Andhra Pradesh Assembly
Q5. Where was the International Judicial Conference on the topic ‘Judiciary and The Changing World’ held?
- New York
- New Delhi