Current Affairs Capsule – February 25, 2020
- February 25, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The 13-year old Indian Grandmaster Dommaraju Gukesh won the 34th Cannes Open 2020 chess tournament held at Cannes, France on 22nd February, 2020. He defeated Harutyun Bargeshyan from France in the final round and secured a total of 7.5 points. Gukesh (Elo rating 2542), who last year became the world’s second youngest Grandmaster ever, beat the Frenchman in 50 moves to emerge a clear winner.
- High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Fiji Ms. Padmaja has been concurrently accredited as the next High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Vanuatu, with residence in Suva. She joined the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in 1986 and her first posting abroad was in Bangladesh.
- Rajlaxmi Singh Deo has been re-elected as the President of Rowing Federation of India (RFI) for a period of 4 years on 22nd February, 2020. M V Shriram has been elected as the Secretary General of RFI. Rajpal Singh, G Bhasker, Souvik Ghose and Sreekunura Kurup were elected as 4 Vice-Presidents (VP) and Nababudin Ahmed as Treasurer. The election was conducted under the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) observer K Govindraj in Hyderbad. Krishna Kumar Singh and Chirajit Phukan were elected as the two joint secretaries. Founded on 30th August, 1976 with headquarters in Mumbai, the RFI is the central body for the game of rowing in India.
- Union Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ presented Chatra Vishwakarma Awards 2019 to 23 teams on 24th February, 2020 in New Delhi. The Utkrisht Santhan Vishwakarma Award (USVA) was given to six institutes. Vishwakarma Awards were instituted by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) in 2017 to motivate younger people and inspire leaders and organizations.
- The US President Donald Trump along with Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the mega event Namaste Trump was held at Sardar Patel Stadium, also known as Motera Stadium, in Ahmedabad on 24th February, 2020. Trump, along with his wife Melania, also visited the Sabarmati Ashram. After the event, the Trump visited the Taj Mahal in Agra where Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath welcomed him. After Taj Mahal visit, Trump will leave for Delhi where he is expected to hold bilateral talks with PM Modi.
- Haryana government is planning to open 25 Atal Kisan – Majdoor canteens in all mandis and sugar mills across the state to provide affordable and cheap meals to farmers and labourers at a concessional rate of 10 rupees per plate. The state government will also provide free and concessional travel facility to 41 different categories of residents in the ordinary buses of Haryana Roadways. Also, under a new initiative, the women and girls belonging to 11 lakh BPL families will be given sanitary napkins free of cost during the year 2020-2021.
- Vice President of India M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the 2nd edition of Exhibition and Conference on Agri-technology & Innovation at the Prof. Jayashankar Telangana State Agriculture University in Hyderabad on 22nd February, 2020. It emphasized the need for post-harvest management and providing support to the farmers. The conference highlighted that the National Agriculture Market (e-NAM) should be expanded to all regions in every state.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who has been elected as the President of Rowing Federation of India (RFI)?
- G Bhasker
- Rajlaxmi Singh Deo
- M V Shriram
- Rajpal Singh
Q2. When was the Rowing Federation of India (RFI) founded?
Q3. When were the Vishwakarma Awards instituted?
Q4. Which state is planning to open 25 Atal Kisan – Majdoor canteens in all mandis and sugar mills across the state?
- Tamil Nadu
Q5. Where is the 2nd edition of Exhibition and Conference on Agri-technology & Innovation held?
- New Delhi