Current Affairs Capsule – February 27, 2020
- February 27, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The 24th meeting of Eastern Zonal Council chaired by Home Minister Amit Shah will be held in Bhubaneswar, Odisha on 28th February, 2020. The meeting will see the participation of the States of Bihar, Jharkhand, Odisha and West Bengal. The participating states will discuss various issues including power transmission lines, investigation of heinous offences, inter-State water issues, petroleum projects and various other issues. Zonal Councils are statutory bodies constituted under the States Reorganization Act of 1956.
- National Science Day (NSD) is observed every year on 28th February across India to mark the discovery of the Raman Effect by Indian physicist Sir C. V. Raman on 28th February, 1928. For this discovery, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1930. This year, the day is celebrated under the theme ‘Women in Science’. NSD was first celebrated in the year 1987. Raman Effect states that when a beam of light comes out of a liquid, the light wave is scattered in a direction different from that of the incoming light wave.
- India and Myanmar on 27th February, 2020 signed ten agreements after the bilateral talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Myanmar President U Win Myint. The focus of many agreements was on development projects in the Rakhine state under India’s assistance. An agreement regarding Indian Grant Assistance for Implementation of Quick Impact Projects (QIP) was also signed between the two sides. Myanmar President U Win Myint was on a four-day visit day to India.
- Sri Lankan Government on 26th February, 2020 notified United Nations about its withdrawal from the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) resolution for investigating alleged war crimes against the Tamil Tiger rebels. The UNHRC resolution 40/1 was co-sponsored by Sri Lanka and eleven other countries. The Tamil Rebels were demanding separate homeland as they were ethnic Tamil minority.
- Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad resigned on 24th February, 2020 amid rumours that he may form a new coalition without his designated successor, Anwar Ibrahim. Mahathir, at an age of 94, is the world’s oldest elected leader. However, he will act as an interim PM. Until now, he has remained the master manipulator in Malaysian politics. Malaysia is the 19th largest investor of India and there are more than 1,50,000 Indians living in Malaysia.
- Central Excise Day is observed every year on 24th February, 2020 across India to honour the contribution of the Central Board of Excise and Custom to India’s economy. The day marks the enactment of the Central Excise and Salt Act in 1944. The day is celebrated to encourage the officers to carry out their duties with utmost sincerity. Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC), a part of the Department of Revenue under the Union Ministry of Finance, deals with policy formulation concerning levy and collection of Customs and central excise duties and service tax. It primarily deals with the Customs Act, 1962, Customs Tarriff Act, 1975, Central Excise Act, 1944, Service Tax Act and Goods and Services Tax (GST).
- Mumbai International Airport Ltd (MIAL) on 21st February, 2020 launched Export Cold Zone, the world’s largest airport-based temperature-controlled facility for processing and storage of agro and pharma products. It can hold over 700 tonnes of such cargo at one time with a combined annual capacity of 5.25 lakh tonnes. Mumbai airport is the first in country to obtain International Air Transport Association (IATA) CEIV PHARMA accreditation.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Which among the following does not come under Eastern Zonal Council?
- West Bengal
Q2. On which day is the National Science Day (NSD) observed?
- February 25th
- February 27th
- February 28th
- February 29th
Q3. National Science Day (NSD) is observed to mark the discovery of the _________
- Newton’s gravitation law
- Raman Effect
- Photoelectric Effect
Q4. On which day is the Central Excise Day observed?
- February 22nd
- February 23rd
- February 24th
- February 25th
Q5. Which is the first airport in India to obtain International Air Transport Association (IATA) CEIV PHARMA accreditation?
- Delhi airport
- Mumbai airport
- Kolkata airport
- Hyderabad airport