Current Affairs Capsule – February 2, 2020
- February 2, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Government of India has constituted a task force comprising of Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar, Minister of State for Home Affairs G Kishan Reddy and Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri to prevent the spread of the coronavirus infection in the country. The task force will meet and consider all the measures for precaution from the novel Coronavirus. Till now, three cases of coronavirus are confirmed in the country, all from Kerala.
- Pakistan, due to the worst locust attacks in decades, declared a National Emergency to tackle the insects destroying crops on a large scale in the Punjab province, which is the country’s main region for agricultural production. The locusts are currently in the Indo-Pakistan border along Cholistan. Usually, these locusts move to Iran after some time, but this time, due to low temperatures, they are still in Pakistan. Pakistan also approved a National Action Plan (NAP) that requires a sum of ₹7.3 billion to overcome the crisis.
- Iraq’s President Barham Salih appointed Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi, a former communications minister as the Prime Minister of the country on 1st February, 2020. He will succeed Adel Abdul Mahdi who resigned in November, amid mass anti-government demonstrations. Mr Allawi, who is a Shia, studied and worked in Lebanon and the United Kingdom before entering Iraqi politics, following the 2003 invasion. He served as the Minister of Communications twice. The protests, which are demanding an end to corruption and more jobs, have only grown despite a violent crackdown by the Iraqi security forces. They began with demands for the resignation of the government and for new elections.
- Amazon India on 30th January, 2020 announced to set up a pick-up kiosk at the Sealdah railway station in Kolkata in partnership with the Eastern Railways. The station would act as a convenient and easy pickup point for customers. In 2019, the company partnered with the Indian Railways to launch pickup kiosks at four railway stations in Mumbai.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman tabled the Economic Survey 2019-20 in both the houses of Parliament on 31st January, 2020. Economic Survey gives a review of the developments in the economy over the previous twelve months and also gives an outlook for the next financial year. The theme of the survey was “Wealth Creation, Promotion of pro-business policies, strengthening of trust in the economy”. It has projected economic growth at 6% to 6.5% in the fiscal year 2020-21. Industrial growth was estimated at 2.5% and Agriculture at 2.8%. The Consumer Price Index (CPI) inflation has increased from 3.7% in 2018-19 (April to December 2018) to 4.1% in 2019-20 for the corresponding period.
- The Google News Initiative has announced to contribute 1 million USD grant to improve news literacy of Indians. The grant is to be used to build a strong network against fake news producers in the country. Google has launched a new application called “Tangi” that focuses on Do It Yourself (DIY) videos. Google has also launched an AI model in Canada that listens to killer whales, identifies the origin of sound and displays its location. As per the Centre for Whale Research, only 73 Southern Resident Orcas, a sub-species of Killer Whales, are left in the world.
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister launched the Direct CTO (Consent To Operate) Scheme for Green Industries on 30th January, 2020 to mark the 125th anniversary of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII). The scheme aims at relaxing the clearances of Green category industries. The event was organised under the theme “CII@125: Business and Beyond”. Founded in 1895, the CII is India’s premier business association.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Which country has declared a National Emergency due to the locust attacks?
Q2. Who has been appointed as the new Prime Minister of Iraq?
- Barham Salih
- Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi
- Adel Abdul Mahdi
- Hamid Yusuf Hammadi
Q3. What is the projected economic growth for the FY21 in the Economic Survey 2019-20?
Q4. Which among the following tech giants announced to contribute 1 million USD grant to improve news literacy of Indians?
Q5. When was the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) founded?