Current Affairs Capsule – February 3, 2020
- February 3, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Amitabh Bhatt has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited’s (HAL) Bangalore Complex. Prior to this, he was serving as the Executive Director of Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) venture in HAL. HAL is an aerospace and defence Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) headquartered in Bengaluru. It was established as the Hindustan Aircraft Limited in Bangalore on 23rd December, 1940.
- Novak Djokovic of Serbia defeated Dominic Thiem of Austria to win the 8th Men’s singles’ title in the Australian Open at the Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne on 3rd February, 2020. This was his 17th Grand Slam Title. Naomi Osaka of Japan won the women’s singles at the tournament. The men’s doubles title was clinched by Joe Salisbury of UK and American Rajeev Ram. The Australia Open 2020 is the first of the four Grand Slam tennis tournaments held every year. The other three Grand Slams include Wimbledon, French Open and US open.
- World Wetlands Day is observed every year on 2nd February to raise awareness about the value of wetlands for humanity and the planet. The theme for this year is ‘Wetlands and Biodiversity’. The world’s wetlands are disappearing three times faster than that of the forests. The day commemorates the date of the adoption of the Convention on Wetlands, also known as Ramsar Convention, on 2nd February, 1971 in Iran. The day was observed for the first time in 1997.
- World Cancer Day is observed every year on 4th February to raise awareness of cancer and to encourage its prevention, detection and treatment. The theme for the years 2019-2021 is ‘I am and I will’. The day is led by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) to support the goals of the World Cancer Declaration, written in 2008. World Cancer Day was established on 4th February 2000 at the World Cancer Summit Against Cancer held in Paris. The UICC is a Non-Governmental Organization that was formed in 1933.
- ‘Matla Abhiyaan’, a five-day coastal security exercise, was conducted by the Indian Navy from 29th January to 2nd February, 2020 to interact with coastal communities to spread awareness on coastal security and understand the navigational complexities in the Sunderban deltaic waters. The exercise is named after the Matla River. During the exercise, the two boats undertook patrol in the Sunderban delta and along the Indo-Bangladesh protocol route.
- India and Maldives on 2nd February, 2020 signed five memorandum of understanding (MoUs) for establishing the Addu Tourism zone in five islands of Addu Atoll in the Maldives. It will cost 2.49 million dollars. High Commissioner of India Sunjay Sudhir, Minister of Foreign Affairs Abdulla Shahid and Addu City Council signed the agreement. Another MoU to set up a bottled water plant in Hoarafushi was also signed. These projects fall under India’s High Impact Community Development Scheme (HICDP).
- The Finance Minister Nirmala Sitaraman presented the Budget 2020-21, which has been structured on the overall theme of “Ease of Living”, on 1st February, 2020. A total of Rs 2.83 lakh crores have been allocated for the agriculture and rural development sector. An amount of Rs 69,000 crores is being provided for health care, including Rs. 6400 crores for the Prime Minister Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY). Similarly, Rs. 3.60 lakh crores has been approved for Jal Jeevan Mission and Rs. 11,500 crore in 2020-21. A budget of Rs. 27300 crores would be allocated for the development and promotion of Industry and Commerce for the year 2020-21. It is also proposed to provide Rs 6000 crores to Bharatnet programme in 2020-21. For the formulation and implementation of plans for ensuring cleaner air in cities, a budget of Rs 4,400 crores for 2020-21 has been allocated.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited established?
Q2. Who won the Australian Open 2020?
- Rafael Nadal
- Novak Djokovic
- Roger Federer
- Dominic Thiem
Q3. When was the World Wetlands Day observed for the first time?
Q4. On which day is the World Cancer Day observed?
- February 2
- February 3
- February 4
- February 5
Q5. Who conducted ‘Matla Abhiyaan’?
- Indian army
- Indian Air Force
- Indian Navy
- All of the above
Q6. What is the budget allocated for the agriculture and rural development sector?
- Rs 69,000 crore
- Rs 2.83 lakh crore
- Rs 11,500 crore
- Rs 273000 crore