Current Affairs Capsule – February 5, 2020
- February 5, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- Karnataka Government has launched the Janasevaka scheme to provide doorstep delivery of 53 important government services to the citizens of the state. These services include issuance of ration card, health card, senior citizen identity card, revenue khatas and marriage registration certificate. A website “janasevaka.karnataka.gov.in” has been launched to provide easy access to important government services. The beneficiary can request for the service, either through the website or through the phone. After a request is received, a Jan Sevak or a delivery executive will be assigned to deliver the service to the citizen. A similar scheme was successfully implemented by the Delhi Government earlier.
- Union Cabinet on 5th February, 2020 gave its ”in-principle” approval to set up a major port at Vadhavan in Maharashtra at an estimated cost of Rs 65,544.54 crore. The port is to be developed in “Landlord Model”. The Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust will act as the leading partner in developing the port. The Jawaharlal Nehru Port (JNP), located in Maharashtra, is the biggest container port in India and 28th in the world with traffic of more than 5.1 million TEUS (Twenty-foot Equivalent units).
- Director-General of UNESCO Audrey Azoulay on 5th February, 2020 presented the ‘World Heritage City’ certificate to Jaipur, the capital of Rajasthan. Union Minister of Urban Development Shanti Dhariwal received the award. Jaipur, also known as the Pink City, is known for its palaces, forts and architecture. The architecture in the city reflected inclusion of Mughal, Persian and Hindu designs. The Government of India had sent a proposal to declare the Pink City as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in August 2018.
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) and Rosneft, Russia’s largest oil producing company, signed the first-ever Term Contract for importing 2 Million Metric Tonnes of Urals grade crude oil during the year 2020 to India. The agreement was signed after a bilateral meeting between the Union Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas and Steel, Dharmendra Pradhan and CEO and Chairman of Rosneft, Mr Igor Sechin.
- The United Arab Emirates on 3rd February, 2020 announced that it has discovered shallow natural gas reserves of about 80 trillion cubic feet between the Emirates of Abu Dhabi and Dubai. This will boost UAE’s goal of achieving gas self-sufficiency, enabling major development projects. The United Arab Emirates consists of seven emirates – Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Fujairah, Ras Al-Khaimah and Umm Al-Quwain. About 30 percent of the country’s GDP is directly based on oil and gas output.
- The Supreme Court on 3rd February, 2020 directed the states, which are yet to come out with notifications for establishing Gram Nyayalayas, to do so within four weeks and asked the High Courts to expedite the process of consultation with the state governments on this issue. Except Kerala, Maharashtra and Rajasthan, all the states that have issued notifications for establishing Gram Nyayalayas are not functioning. The Gram Nyayalayas Act, 2008 that came into force on 2nd October 2009, was passed to provide establishment of Gram Nyayalayas at the grass root level for providing access to justice to citizens at the doorstep.
- Union Minister of Women & Child Development and Textiles, Smriti Zubin Irani presented the Pradhan Mantri Matru VandanaYojana (PMMVY) awards in New Delhi on 3rd February, 2020. Madhya Pradesh won the best performance since inception of the Scheme to States or Union Territories having population of more than one crore, followed by Andhra Pradesh and Haryana. In the same category, among States/ UTs having population of less than 1 crore, the first position was awarded to Dadra & Nagar Haveli. Indore in Madhya Pradesh and Serchhip in Mizoram won the District level awards for States/ UTs having population of more than 1 crore and less than 1 crore respectively. Introduced in 2016, the PMMVY is a maternity benefit program run by the government of India. It is implemented by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Which state has launched the Janasevaka scheme to provide doorstep delivery of services?
- Andhra Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
Q2. Which is the biggest container port in India?
- Cochin port
- Visakhapatnam port
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port
- Kolkata port
Q3. Which city received the ‘World Heritage City’ certificate?
Q4. Which state was awarded the best performance since inception of the Scheme to States/ UTs having population of more than 1 crore?
- Andhra Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh
Q5. When was the Pradhan Mantri Matru VandanaYojana (PMMVY) introduced?