Current Affairs Capsule – February 6, 2020
- February 6, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Union Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs launched the Ease of Living index (EoLI) and Municipal Performance Index (MPI) 2019, which assess the quality of life of citizens in 100 Smart Cities and 14 other Million Plus Cities. With the Municipal Performance Index 2019, the Ministry has sought to assess the performance of municipalities based on five enablers namely Service, Finance, Planning, Technology and Governance. The EoLI 2019 will facilitate the assessment of ease of living of citizens across three pillars: Quality of Life, Economic Ability and Sustainability, which are further divided into 14 categories across 50 indicators.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced on 5th February, 2020 that the Union Cabinet has set up a trust, named Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra, for the construction of a Ram temple in Ayodhya. Supreme Court, in its judgement on the dispute, asked the Union Government to form a trust that can look at the construction and management of the temple. The land of around 67.703 acre will be transferred to the trust for the purpose. There will be 15 trustees in the trust.
- Sri Lankan Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa will arrive in New Delhi on 7th February, 2020 with a ten-member high-level delegation, including two Cabinet Ministers, on a five-day official visit to India. He will have bilateral meetings with Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Ramnath Kovind. A variety of issues including economic cooperation, maritime security in Indian ocean region, trade and connectivity along with skill development for Sri Lankan officials will come up for discussion during these delegation-level meetings.
- Union Cabinet on 5th February, 2020 approved the amendments to the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 in order to allow cooperative banks to come under the regulation of the Reserve Bank of India. This aims to ensure greater accountability and transparency in the functioning of cooperative banks. Currently, cooperative banks are governed by dual control of cooperative societies as well as the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). These amendments will apply to urban co-operative banks and multi-state cooperative banks.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 11th edition of the Defence Expo that will be held from 5th February to 9th February, 2020 in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. During the expo, the Uttar Pradesh Government will sign 23 MoUs envisaging Rs. 50,000 crores investment and providing job opportunities to over 3 lakh youth. It is the biggest ever DefExpo and would showcase India’s military might and technological innovations. DefExpo is a biennial event organized by the Ministry of Defence, Government of India.
- The use of soil health cards has reduced the fertilizers’ use by 10% and increased the productivity by 5% to 6% in India as per the study conducted by the National Productivity Council. The Soil Health Card scheme launched by the Government of India during the financial year 2014-15 with a view to address the decline of soil nutrients. In the fiscal year 2019, a pilot project ‘Development of Model Villages’ is being implemented.
- Defence Minister of India Rajnath Singh and Minister of National Defence of Republic of Korea (RoK) Jeong Kyeongdoo held a bilateral meeting in New Delhi on 4th February, 2020. The discussions on enhancing the bilateral security cooperation and collaboration in defence industry and research & development were held during the meeting. A roadmap for Defence Industries Cooperation between India and RoK, which also promotes investment in Defence Industrial Corridors in Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu, was exchanged. The two Ministers also exchanged views on regional security situation.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Ease of Living index will assess based on _____
- Quality of Life
- Economic Ability
- All of the above
Q2. Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra will have _________ trustees
Q3. India and ________exchanged the roadmap for Defence Industries Cooperation recently
- Republic of Korea
Q4. Where is the 11th Edition of Defence Expo held?
Q5. The use of soil health cards has reduced the fertilizers use by ______