Current Affairs Capsule – February 7, 2020
- February 7, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- English and Odia writer Manoj Das was presented Mystic Kalinga Literary Award on 8th February, 2020 during the 4th edition of the two-day long Mystic Kalinga Festival (MKF) held in Bhubaneswar. He was recently conferred the Padma Bhushan, the country’s third-highest civilian award for his contribution in the field of literature and education. The Mystic Kalinga Literary Award has been instituted to recognise and celebrate prolific and inspiring writers, poets and performers.
- According to researchers from China, the deadly coronavirus outbreak in China could have spread from bats to humans through pangolins, the world’s only scaly mammals, which are prized in Asia for food and medicine. The pangolin is one of Asia’s most trafficked mammals, although it is protected by international law. The outbreak has killed 636 people in mainland China. Pangolins are listed as “threatened” in the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s (IUCN) red list.
- The 22nd edition of India International Seafood Show (IISS) is organised by the Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) in association with the Seafood Exporters Association of India (SEAI) in Kochi from 7th February to 9th February, 2020. The theme of this year’s seafood show is “Blue Revolution – Beyond Production to Value Addition”. It will also give an opportunity for the display and sale for manufacturers and suppliers of processing machinery, packaging systems, processing ingredient dealers and cold chain systems.
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Israel-based defense electronics company Elbit Systems for promoting and marketing the Digital Head Up Displays (HUD) units, on 6th February, 2020 during the DefExpo 2020. A head-up display (HUD) is a transparent display that gives a pilot a seamless view of critical information. The HUD system, under the MoU, will be compatible with the Night Vision Imaging Systems having improved maintenance features. Founded in 1940, the HAL is an Indian state-owned aerospace and defence company headquartered in Bangalore.
- The US President Donald Trump has been acquitted in his impeachment trial, ending a bid to remove him from office. The Senate voted to acquit him 52-48 on charges of abuse of power and 53-47 on obstruction of Congress. Trump became the third president in the US history to be impeached by the House of Representatives but acquitted in a Senate trial. The other two Presidents were Bill Clinton in 1999 and Andrew Johnson in 1868. Impeachment allows Congress, the part of the US government that writes and brings in laws, to put presidents on trial. It is a rare event and a political process, rather than a criminal one.
- The Union Cabinet on 5th February, 2020 approved to confer the status of “Institution of National Importance” to five Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIIT). These five IIITs are in the Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode at Surat, Bhopal, Bhagalpur, Agartala and Raichur. The Cabinet has approved the introduction of the Indian Institutes of Information Technology Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2020, which will declare the remaining five IIITs along with the existing 15 IIITs in the PPP mode as the Institutions of National Importance with powers to award degrees.
- India slipped four positions from 36th in 2019 to 40th position in 2020 on the International Intellectual Property (IP) Index, released by the Global Innovation Policy Centre (GIPC) of the US Chamber of Commerce on 5th February, 2020. India’s score, however, increased from 36.04 per cent (16.22 out of 45) in 2019 to 38.46 per cent (19.23 out of 50) in 2020. With a score of 42.66, US topped the list of 53 countries. The US, the UK, Sweden, France and Germany remained the top five economies on the index retaining their spots from the last year.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who has been presented the Mystic Kalinga Literary Award 2020?
- Manish Sharma
- Manoj Das
- Manohar Kumar
- Sushil kumar
Q2. Where was the 22nd edition of India International Seafood Show (IISS) held?
Q3. When was the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) founded?
Q4. Trump became the ___________president in US history to be impeached by the House of Representatives but acquitted in a Senate trial.
Q5. What was the rank achieved by India in the International Intellectual Property (IP) Index?