Current Affairs Capsule – February 9, 2020
- February 9, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The first-ever ‘Jerusalem-Mumbai Festival’ is scheduled to be organised in Mumbai on 15th February, 2020 by the Jerusalem municipality in collaboration with the Consulate General of Israel in Mumbai and the Federation of India-Israel Chamber of Commerce. It aims to promote artistic and cultural ties between India and Israel. The festival will provide a common platform for cooperation not only among artists but also individuals from other fields including high-technology, cinema and tourism.
- ”Parth”, the cheapest gun-shot locator device, has been developed by the Army’s College of Military Engineering (CME) jointly with a private firm. The device costs around Rs 3 lakhs, and if inducted, would replace a similar imported item which costs around Rs 65 lakhs. The device can locate the exact location of a bullet from a distance of 400m and will help to locate and neutralize terrorists faster.
- India will host the 13th Conference of Parties (COP) of the Convention on the conservation of migratory species of wild animals (CMS) from 15th February to 22nd February, 2020 at Gandhinagar in Gujarat. It is an environmental treaty under the aegis of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). India has been a party to the CMS since 1983. Representatives from 129 Parties and eminent conservationists and international NGOs working in the field of wildlife conservation are expected to attend the COP. The theme of the conference is ‘Migratory species Connect the Planet and we welcome them’.
- National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) released the data on missing children and women, which was compiled on the directions of the Supreme Court. As per the report, the highest incidence of children and women being trafficked was observed from the cities of Mumbai and Kolkata. The study highlighted that the common causes of trafficking were child labour, forced marriages, domestic help and sexual exploitation among others. Maharashtra reported the maximum number of missing women while Madhya Pradesh reported maximum number of cases of missing children.
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy inaugurated the first Disha Mahila Police Station to exclusively deal with crimes against women and children in the state in Rajahmundry on 8th February, 2020. A total of 18 such police stations will be set up across the state and will be headed by a DSP rank officer and have a staff of 26 to 47 police officers. The special police station has been established as part of the Andhra Pradesh Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2019 (also known as Disha Act), passed by state assembly on 13th December, 2019.
- The UK India Business Council (UKIBC) and the Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), on the sidelines of the DefExpo 2020 that is being held in Lucknow. The MoU aims to bring forth closer defence ties between the countries. It also seeks to promote a sustainable framework for the present and future partnerships.
- The Central Asia Business Council was organised in New Delhi by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI). This was the first time when the business chambers of all five Central Asian states i.e. Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan and Tajikistan, were brought together by India to push trade and investment partnership. The Central Asia Business Council is a common platform for sharing of ideas and the transformation of goodwill into practical outcomes and seeks to form an India-Central Asia Development Group.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Where will the 13th Conference of Parties (COP) of the Convention on the conservation of migratory species of wild animals (CMS) be held?
- New Delhi
Q2. Which state has reported the maximum number of missing women in India?
- Madhya Pradesh
- West Bengal
- Uttar Pradesh
Q3. Which among the following cities has observed the highest incidences of children and women being trafficked?
- Both b & c
Q4. Which is the first state to set up the first Disha Mahila Police Station to exclusively deal with crimes against women and children?
- New Delhi
- Andhra Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
Q5. Where was the Central Asia Business Council organised?
- New Delhi