Current Affairs Capsule – January 2, 2020
- January 2, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- India and Pakistan exchanged the lists of civilian prisoners and fishermen lodged in their jails through diplomatic channels on 1st January, 2020. India handed over the lists of 267 Pakistan civilian prisoners and 99 fishermen to Pakistan, who are in India’s custody. Pakistan shared the lists of 55 civilian prisoners and 227 fishermen in its custody, who are Indians or believed-to-be Indians. The lists are exchanged between the two countries on 1st January and 1st July every year as per the 2008 Agreement.
- The Reserve Bank of India Governor Shaktikanta Das launched the ‘MANI’ mobile app to help the visually challenged identify the denomination of currency notes that were launched after demonetization. MANI stands for Mobile Aided Note Identifier. It scans currency notes using mobile camera and gives audio output in both Hindi and English. The app will not authenticate a note as genuine or fake.
- Election Commission of India on 1st January, 2020 launched a new online system – Political Parties Registration Tracking Management System (PPRTMS) – that will allow political parties to track their registration applications submitted to the poll panel on a real-time basis. The users will get status updates through SMS and e-mail. The registration of political parties is governed under the provisions of Section 29A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951.
- Union Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs, Hardeep Singh Puri announced the results of the Swachh Survekshan League 2020, for the first and second quarters in New Delhi on 31st December, 2019. In the 10 lakh plus population category, Indore secured first place in both the quarters. In 1 lakh to 10 lakh population category, Jamshedpur in Jharkhand got the first spot in both quarters. The Swachh Survekshan League is a cleanliness survey that helps in competitive federalism.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman released a report of task force on National Infrastructure on Pipeline (NIP) 2019-2025 on 31st December, 2019. The Task Force was constituted to draw up the National Infrastructure Pipeline (NIP) for each of the years from FY 2019-20 to FY 2024-25. The report says that between 2020 and 2025, the Government of India has planned 70% investment in infrastructure sectors such as roads, railways, urban and energy. As per the report, the total capacity of the Indian Energy Sector is 356 GW.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on 31st December, 2019 announced Rs 102 lakh crore of infrastructure projects that will be implemented in the next five years. The projects identified are in sectors such as power, railways, urban irrigation, mobility, education and health. These projects will help India achieve its goal of becoming a 5 trillion-dollar economy by 2025.
- Telecom minister Ravi Shankar Prasad launched a web portal- www.ceir.gov.in on 30th December, 2019 that helps to trace and block stolen or lost mobile phones for residents of the Delhi-NCR region. The initiative was launched in Mumbai in September 2019 and will be extended to other parts of the country in 2020. The project is backed by the Central Equipment Identity Register (CEIR) system.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. India and Pakistan exchange lists of civilian prisoners and fishermen lodged in jails of each country as per the ________ agreement.
Q2. Who launched PPRTMS?
- Reserve Bank of India
- Railways Ministry
- Election Commission of India
- Delhi Police
Q3. Which city secured first place in the Swachh Survekshan League 2020, for first and second Quarters, in the 10 lakh plus population category?
Q4. Which city secured first place in the Swachh Survekshan League 2020, for first and second quarters, in the 1 to 10 lakh plus population category?
Q5. As per the report ‘World Economic League Table 2020’, India would achieve a gross domestic product (GDP) of $5 trillion by ______