Current Affairs Capsule – January 14, 2020
- January 14, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Hormuz Peace Initiative held in Tehran was attended by the leading trade partners of Iran namely India, China, Oman and Afghanistan. The initiative aims at stabilizing the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s busiest shipping lanes, amidst US-Iran tensions. The Hormuz Peace Endeavour (HOPE) was reviewed by the countries attending the initiative and it had been proposed by Iran at the UN General Assembly in September 2019. The Strait of Hormuz connects the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman and every day, around 18 million barrels of world oil passes through it.
- The first death due to pneumonia caused by a new virus belonging to the Corona virus family was reported in the city of Wuhan in China. According to the World Health Organization, the outbreak of the virus is less virulent and there is a swift response to controlling the spread. Earlier, between 2002 and 2003, more than 700 people were killed by a flu-like virus called Sars Virus, which belonged to the Corona virus strain, after it had originated in China. These Corona Viruses were first found in humans in 1960s and mainly cause gastro intestinal problems and flu.
- The first Cyber Crime Prevention Unit called “Cyber AASHVAST” was launched in Gandhinagar by Union Home Minister Amit Shah. Additionally, VISWAS – the Video Integration and State Wide Advance Security project – was also launched. The Cyber AASHVAST is a unit that will prevent cyber-crimes with the help of VISWAS and NETRANG, in addition to monitoring and controlling cyber-crimes. An exclusive online portal will be handled by AASHVAST and it will be solely dedicated to help victims of cyber-crimes.
- The Raisina Dialogue, a multilateral conference held in New Delhi annually since 2016, will be held between January 14th to January 16th and will be organized by the Ministry of External Affairs and the Observer Research Foundation. A number of foreign ministers from countries such as Russia, Iran, Maldives, Morocco, Estonia, Czech Republic, Bhutan, Australia, Denmark, etc. are expected to attend the dialogue. The theme for this year’s dialogue is “21@20 : Navigating the Alpha Century”. The Raisina Dialogue is considered to be the flagship conference in India on geo-economics and geo-politics and it aims at exploring opportunities of integration in the continent of Asia.
- Tejas, the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) successfully landed on INS Vikramaditya, becoming the first aircraft to make an arrested landing on a naval ship. The LCA was made by the Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO) and due to this achievement, India has entered the ranks of those nations whose aircrafts are capable of landing and taking off from an aircraft carrier deck, which is barely 200 metres wide.
- In order to ease the auction of coal mines, an ordinance was promulgated by the Government of India to amend coal mining laws like the Mines and Minerals Development and Regulation Act, 1957 and Coal Mines (Special Provisions) Act, 2015. The amendment will enhance the east of doing business and will democratize the coal sector, opening it up for anyone to invest in. Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) will be promoted through this amendment and any kind of previously existing eligibility criteria and restrictions will be removed.
- The birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda is celebrated every year on January 12th as National Youth Day. The Government of India commemorates his birth anniversary by organizing the National Youth Festival, which will be held between January 12th and January 16th 2020, and is being organized by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports and the State Government of Uttar Pradesh. The theme for this year is “Fit Youth, Fit India” and was chosen to align with the Fit India Movement launched by the Government of India. Apart from fitness, the festival also pays attention to culture and several classical dance programmes such as Bharatnatyam, Odissi, Manipuri and Kuchipudi are held.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Where was the Hormuz Peace Initiative held?
- Washington D.C.
Q2. In which city did Union Home Minister Amit Shah launch Cyber AASHVAST?
Q3. When was the Raisina Dialogue organized for the first time?
Q4. On which ship did Tejas, the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) successfully land, becoming the first aircraft to make an arrested landing on a naval ship?
- INS Varuna
- INS Vedanta
- INS Vidrohi
- INS Vikramaditya
Q5. In order to ease the auction of _______ mines, an ordinance was promulgated by the Government of India to amend _______ mining laws.
Q6. On which day is the National Youth Day celebrated?
- January 10th
- January 11th
- January 12th
- January 13th
Q7. On whose birth anniversary is the National Youth Day celebrated?
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Baba Ramdev
- Swami Vivekananda