Current Affairs Capsule – January 15, 2020
- January 15, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- India’s Statue of Unity has been included in the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation’s ‘8 Wonders of SCO’ list. The 182-metre tall statue, the world’s tallest statue, is a monumental tribute to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, independent India’s first home minister as well as deputy prime minister. The statue was inaugurated in October 2018 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the occasion of Patel’s 143rd birth anniversary.
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah chaired the 6th meeting of the Island Development Agency (IDA) held on 13th January, 2020 in New Delhi. The meeting focused on “Green Development in the Islands to reach new heights”. The meeting reviewed the progress made towards the programme “Holistic Development of Islands”. A decision was taken to set up IT-based micro, small and medium enterprises under the Lakshadweep and Andaman and Nicobar Islands Industrial Development Scheme.
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) on 17th January, 2020 launched successfully a high power communication satellite called ‘GSAT-30’ from French Guiana on the launch vehicle Ariane-5. It is to replace INSAT-4A and has a mission life of 15 years. The satellite has an approximate weight of 3357 kg and will provide high-quality telecommunications, television and broadcasting services. It was launched along with the European Space Company’s telecommunication satellite – Eutelsat Konnect.
- During the 150th anniversary celebrations of the Kolkata Port Trust on 12th January 2020, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a commemorative stamp of the port in Kolkata. He also announced to rename Kolkata Port Trust as Dr. Shyama Prasad Mookerjee Port and inaugurated the upgraded Ship Repair Facility of Cochin-Kolkata Ship Repair Unit at the Netaji Subhas Dry Dock and the Full Rake Handling Facility for smooth cargo movement and improving turnaround time.
- According to a report from job site Indeed, science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)-related job roles have increased by 44 percent between November 2016 and November 2019. These job roles in India are among the most promising for job seekers, as these job openings have seen consistent growth in the past three years. The data calculated for this report was based on job postings and searches on the Indeed platform from November 2016 to November 2019.
- The World Future Energy Summit 2020 was held from 13th January to 16th January, 2020 in Abu Dhabi under the theme ‘Rethinking Global Consumption, Production, and Investment’. It saw a participation of 33,500 visitors from 170 countries and 800 specialist exhibitors. The World Future Energy Summit is the Middle East’s largest future energy and sustainability event. The Climate Innovations Exchange (CLIX) and Future Sustainability Summit were also held alongside the summit.
- The Australian Government is to declare koalas as endangered species after the bushfire crisis, which destroyed 30% of the habitat of koalas across the country. Since September last year, the raging Australian bushfires, one of the worst in its history, have killed at least 26 people, burned over 10 million hectares of land, destroyed over 2,000 homes and pushed many species towards extinction. Over 1.25 billion animals are believed to be dead in the wake of bushfires.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. The Statue of Unity is a monumental tribute to _____
- Jawahar Lal Nehru
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Dr BR Ambedkar
Q2. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) on 17th January, 2020 successfully launched a high power communication satellite called ______
Q3. Who chaired the 6th meeting of the Island Development Agency (IDA)?
- Narendra Modi
- Rajnath Singh
- Amit shah
- Nirmala Sitharaman
Q4. STEM-related job roles have increased by ________percent between November 2016 and November 2019
Q5. Where was the World Future Energy Summit 2020 held?
- New Delhi
- Abu Dhabi
- New York