Current Affairs Capsule – January 16, 2020
- January 16, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The World Economic Forum on 15th January, 2020 released its 15th edition of Global Risks Report, which is based on WEF’s annual Global Risks Perception Survey, which comprises views of around 800 members of WEF’s diverse communities. Extreme Weather and Climate Action Failure are the top risks in terms of likelihood. The report has categorised all the risks into five categories namely economic, environmental, geopolitical, societal and technological risks.
- Army Day is celebrated on 15th January every year in India to salute the valiant soldiers who sacrificed their lives to protect the country and its citizens. On this day in 1949, General K M Cariappa, the first General of Indian Army, took charge. The power was transferred to Mr Cariappa from the last British General Bucher. General Cariappa’s retirement day 14th January is celebrated as the Armed Forces Veterans’ Day every year.
- Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism (IC) Prahlad Singh Patel launched a month-long exhibition on Indian Heritage in Digital Space and a two-day long 1st International Heritage Symposium on 15th January, 2020 at the National Museum in New Delhi. This exhibition is first of its kind in the country and will stay online until 15th February, 2020. The exhibition also consists of a special installation called “VIRAASAT”, which provides mixed reality experience to visitors through 3D printing.
- Secretary of Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas Dr. M.M Kutty launched ‘Saksham’, an annual one-month long mega campaign on fuel conservation of Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA) in Delhi on 16th January, 2020. The PCRA is a Government think tank that proposes strategies and policies on petroleum conservation and environment protection.
- Indian Railways has signed a MoU with RailTel, a miniratna PSU under the Ministry of Railways, for the implementation of Phase 2 of the project under which RailTel will register 39,000 users over 34 Railway divisions on the NIC e-office platform by 30th June 2020. The Phase 1 execution of NIC e-office for 50,000 users in 58 units has been successfully completed. NIC e-Office is a cloud enabled software developed by the National Informatics Centre (NIC).
- South Central Zone of the Indian Railways and the State Bank of India signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for Doorstep Banking for direct pickup of earnings covering all 585 Railway stations over the SCR Zone. The direct pick up of cash from all the railway stations on SCR as per the MoU dispenses with the tedious and complex activity of movement of cash earnings through “Cash Safes” by trains. This will enable hassle free collection of traffic earnings by the SBI and remittance into the Government account avoiding delay in transmission of traffic cash earnings.
- Since 2017, the Armed Forces Veterans Day is observed every year on 14th January as a mark of respect and recognition of the services rendered by Field Marshal KM Cariappa OBE – the first Indian Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Armed Forces who retired on that day. The commemoration of the Armed Forces Veterans Day acknowledges and honors the selfless devotion and sacrifice of our veterans in the service of the nation.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who released the Global Risks Report?
- World Bank
Q2. On which day is the Army Day celebrated?
- January 12
- January 14
- January 15
- January 16
Q3. ‘Saksham’ is a mega campaign on ______________
- Climate emergency
- Fuel conservation
- Global warming
- Women empowerment
Q4. The South Central Zone of the Indian Railways and ________signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for Doorstep Banking.
- Reserve Bank of India
- State Bank of India
- Canara Bank
- ICICI Bank
Q5. On which day is the Armed Forces Veterans Day observed?
- January 12
- January 13
- January 14
- January 16