Current Affairs Capsule – January 18, 2020
- January 18, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- A Concession Agreement for completing the 6.5-kilometre long Z-Morh tunnel in Jammu and Kashmir was signed on 17th January, 2020 in New Delhi. Under the agreement, the two-lane bi-directional tunnel with parallel escape is to be completed in 3.5 years at a cost of 2379 Crore rupees. The tunnel will open the NH-1 Srinagar-Sonmarg-Gumri highway throughout the year. The tunnel construction process began in 2012 with the Border Road Organization (BRO) as the implementation agency of the project. The project was however transferred to IL&FS in 2016.
- The Founder, Chief Executive Officer and President of Amazon.com, Jeff Bezos announced an investment of 1 billion USD to help small businesses digitise and this will enable $10 billion in exports of Indian products, to the rest of the world by 2025. It will also create an additional million jobs across the country by 2025. According to the National E-Commerce Policy, 2019, the Indian e-commerce market is estimated to reach 200 billion USD by 2026.
- Union Chemicals and Fertilizers Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda launched the logo and brand ‘APNA UREA – Sona Ugle’ of Hindustan Urvarak and Rasayan Ltd (HURL). The HURL is a Joint Venture Company promoted by the three Maha Ratna Companies – Coal India Limited, NTPC Limited and Indian Oil Corporation Limited. HURL is in the process of reviving three sick urea units located at Gorakhpur (Uttar Pradesh), Barauni (Bihar) and Sindri (Jharkhand).
- NITI Aayog and Union Territory of Ladakh on 17th January, 2020 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to promote the development of key infrastructure sectors through its key initiative ‘Development Support Services to States for Infrastructure Projects (D3S-i)’. A dedicated team of professionals is expected to be stationed at Ladakh for identification and development of projects in the Union Territory, especially in tourism, solar energy and basic infrastructure.
- A three-day International Conclave on ‘Globalizing Indian Thought’ was held from 16th January to 18th January, 2020 in the Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Kozhikode. The conference witnessed representations from renowned academicians, public figures and the presentation of close to 100 world-class research papers. The conference was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The conclave aimed at revealing India’s thoughts in becoming one of top three economies of the world.
- The first Session of the India-Norway Dialogue on Trade & Investment (DTI) was convened in New Delhi on 15th January and 16th January, 2020, based on the Terms of Reference (ToR) signed between India and Norway during the visit of Prime Minister of Norway on 8th January, 2019 in New Delhi. This was the first meeting after the signing of DTI. Joint Secretary of the Department of Commerce Nidhi Mani Tripathi and Director General, Ministry of Trade, Industry and Fisheries, Mr. Erling Rimestad co-chaired the session. The first session was preceded by an industry interaction where discussions were held on various areas of mutual interest like blue economy, shipping & maritime, ICT, renewable energy, fisheries and MSME.
- Based on data collected from the International Air Transport Association (IATA), Henley Passport Index 2020, which provides the rankings of the world’s most powerful passports has been released. The Index is based on the number of destinations their holders can access without visa. As per the index, the Indian passport slipped its rank from 74 in 2013 to 84 in 2020. Japan’s passport, which is the most powerful passport in the world has access to 191 countries without any visa. The list included passports of 199 countries and 227 tourist places. Currently, Indian passport holders can go to 58 countries without obtaining a visa. The Henley Passport Index was started in 2006 when India was ranked 71.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Where will the 6.5-kilometre long Z-Morh tunnel be constructed?
- Jammu and Kashmir
Q2. Which company among the following announced an investment of 1 billion USD to help small businesses digitise?
Q3. Which among the following is not associated with the Hindustan Urvarak and Rasayan Ltd (HURL)?
- Coal India Limited
- NTPC Limited
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited
Q4. When was the Terms of Reference (ToR) of India-Norway Dialogue on Trade & Investment (DTI) signed?
Q5. Which country topped the Henley Passport Index 2020?
Q6. What was India’s rank in Henley Passport Index 2020?