Current Affairs Capsule – January 20, 2020
- January 20, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) released its Global Investment Trend Monitor report on 20th January, 2020. As per the report, India was among the top 10 recipients of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in 2019, attracting $49 billion in inflows, a 16% increase from the previous year, driving the FDI growth in South Asia. The majority went into services industries, including information technology. The global foreign direct investment declined by 1% in 2019 to $1.39 trillion from a revised $1.41 trillion in 2018. The United States remained the largest recipient of FDI with $251 billion inflows, followed by China with flows of $140 billion and Singapore with $110 billion.
- Union Minister for Law and Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad will inaugurate the 2nd edition of ‘NIC TechConclave 2020’ to be held on 21st January and 22nd January, 2020. The National Informatics Centre (NIC) will be organising the event under the theme “Technologies for NextGen Governance”. This Conclave will contribute immensely to the capacity building of government officers across the country and help in delivering high-quality citizen-centric services.
- The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) added 135 laboratories to existing 51 recognized laboratories. With this initiative, the APEDA recognition of laboratories has reached to 186 laboratories across the country. For increasing the laboratory network further, the APEDA has taken a policy decision, under which the laboratories, which are NABL accredited, will be recognized by APEDA. The APEDA is an apex body under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, responsible for the export promotion of agricultural products. It was created under the APEDA Act, 1985.
- Delhi Chief Minister and Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) National Convener Arvind Kejriwal on 19th January, 2020 released a 10-point guarantee card which includes extending free travel on public transport to students in addition to women, reducing pollution by a third, ensuring 24-hour supply of clean piped water to every household and building houses for slum dwellers. It also guaranteed to make Delhi safer for women by deploying “Mohalla Marshals”.
- An industry meet for Wings India 2020, Asia’s largest civil aviation event, was held in Bengaluru. Wings India 2020, the flagship event of civil aviation will be held at the Begumpet Airport of Hyderabad from 12th March to 15th March, 2020. The event with the theme ‘Flying for All’, will see participation from various countries, state governments and stakeholders. The event will help to introspect, analyze and finalize roadmap for making the civil aviation sector even more sustainable.
- For the first time, Census 2021 will collect information from households on smartphones, DTH/Cable TV connection, internet access, number of members of households having bank accounts, ownership of house other than the rented accommodation of a household, bottled water availability and mobile number as part of the house listing procedure. It will also collect data of transgender headed houses and also about main cereal.
- India’s Tuberculosis (TB) control programme ‘Revised National TB Control Programme (RNTCP)’ has been rechristened as the National Tuberculosis Elimination Programme (NTEP) on 1st January, 2020. It is in line with the larger goal of eliminating the disease by 2025, five years ahead of the Sustainable Development Goals target.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Which among the following was the largest recipient of FDI in 2019?
Q2. What was the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) inflow in India in 2019?
- $249 billion
- $149 billion
- $140 billion
- $49 billion
Q3. How many laboratories have been recognised by Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) till now?
Q4. Where will Wings India 2020 be held?
- New Delhi
Q5. Revised National TB Control Programme has been renamed to _____
- National TB Control Programme
- National TB Eradication Programme
- National TB Elimination Programme
- National TB Programme