Current Affairs Capsule – January 21, 2020
- January 21, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- World Economic Forum on 20th January, 2020 released the Social Mobility Index, which measures social mobility of the population worldwide. Denmark was ranked first in the list of 82 countries. India got 76th rank in the list and additionally is ranked 41st in terms of lifelong education and 53rd in terms of working conditions. India ranks 76th in social security and 79th in fair pay distribution.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with Nepal Prime Minister K.P. Sharma Oli jointly inaugurated the second Integrated Check Post (ICP) at Jogbani – Biratnagar on 21st January, 2020. It was built with Indian assistance to facilitate trade and people’s movement across the Indo-Nepal border. The first ICP was built at the Raxaul-Birgunj border in 2018.
- Manipur, Meghalaya and Tripura celebrated their 48th statehood day on 21st January, 2020. All the three states became full-fledged states under the North Eastern Region (Reorganisation) Act, 1971on 21st January, 1972. Manipur and Tripura were granted the status of “Union Territories” in 1949. Meghalaya was made an autonomous state within Assam via the Assam Reorganisation (Meghalaya) Act of 1969 as per Schedule VI of the Constitution of India.
- Gujarat acquired the first rank while Delhi was placed the last position (41) on efficiency targets in the review of State and Central government water departments by the Ministry of Jal Shakti. Among the seven central government departments, the Survey of India topped the list while the Central Pollution Control Board received the lowest rank. In 2018, Telangana had been on the top and Gujarat was at 7th position. Among the states that significantly improved their ranking, Tamil Nadu stood at 13th as compared to 33rd in 2018.
- The Group of Ministers (GoM) headed by Home Minister Amit Shah, which was constituted to strengthen the legal framework to prevent sexual harassment at the workplace, has finalised its recommendations. The GoM was constituted first in October 2018 after the #MeToo movement but was reconstituted in July 2019. The recommendations include addition of new provisions to the Indian Penal Code. The amendments would be largely based on the Vishaka Guidelines laid down by the Supreme Court in 1997, on which the Sexual Harassment of Women and Workplace, 2013 Act was based.
- National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval on 19th January, 2020 met Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa and discussed setting up of a maritime research coordination centre in Sri Lanka. Both countries vowed to strengthen military ties and widen maritime links with neighbours after security talks. The two countries also discussed closer military and coastguard cooperation.
- National Immunization Day (NID) was observed all over India on 19th January, 2020 with an aim to maintain the ‘NO POLIO’ status in the country. President Ram Nath Kovind launched the Pulse Polio Programme 2020 by administering Polio drops to children below the age of five at the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi. The two types of vaccines that are being administered in the country are IPV (Inactivated Polio Vaccine) and OPV (Oral Polio Vaccine). The Pulse Polio Immunization programme, launched in 1995, caters to around 172 million children every day. India has eradicated polio completely in 2012.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Which country topped the Social Mobility Index?
Q2. What is the rank of India in the Social Mobility Index?
Q3. When was the first Integrated Check Post (ICP) built?
Q4. In which year did Manipur, Meghalaya and Tripura become full-fledged states?
Q5. Which state topped on efficiency targets in the review of State and Central government water departments?
Q6. Where will a maritime research coordination centre be set up by India?
- Sri Lanka
Q7. When was the Pulse Polio Immunization programme launched?