Current Affairs Capsule – January 22, 2020
- January 22, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved the proposal allowing the Election Commission to enter into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Independent High Authority for Elections of Tunisia (ISIE) and the Papua New Guinea Electoral Commission (PNGEC) for cooperation in the field of electoral management and administration. It would result in bolstering India’s international relations.
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the shutting down of the operations of the Hindustan Fluorocarbons Limited (HFL) as well as for the closure of the company. The HFL has only one plant located at Rudraram in Sangareddy District in Telangana. Incorporated on 14th July, 1983, the Hindustan Fluorocarbons Limited (HFL) is a subsidiary company of the Hindustan Organic Chemicals Ltd. (HOCL), a Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE).
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the Model Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for unilateral/bilateral recognition of Certificates, pursuant to Regulation 1/10 of International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) for Seafarers, 1978 as amended to be signed between the Directorate General of Shipping in the Government of India and its counterparts in foreign countries with the approval of Minister-in-charge of Shipping and the Minister of External Affairs.
- Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina launched an e-passport facility for its citizens on 22nd January, 2020 in Dhaka. The e-passports will have an embedded chip in them, which will contain the bio-metric data of the passport holder, photograph and other information contained in the passport. It will also include digital security features in it. It is the first country in South Asia and the 119th country in the world to provide such facility. According to the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), over 490 million e-Passports are in circulation in the world.
- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) in the Ministry of Commerce and Industry has launched paperless licensing process through the Petroleum and Explosives Safety Organisation (PESO) for petroleum service stations under the Petroleum Rules, 2002. Paperless application and grant of license process for road tankers for transportation of petroleum under the Petroleum Rules has been launched on 7th January, 2020.
- India was ranked 5th on the annual report “Carbon Disclosure Project 2019” published by a non-profit organisation Global Reporting Initiative. The report measures carbon reduction activities of different countries and their firms. As per the report, the United States topped the list followed by Japan. According to the report, 58 Indian companies disclosed their environment related activities.
- The Indian Air Force inducted its first squadron of Sukhoi-30 MKI aircraft carrying the BrahMos missiles in the South at its Thanjavur base in Tamil Nadu on 20th January, 2020. The newly reinstated 222-squadron, also known as the Tigersharks, would serve as a lethal weapons platform capable of carrying both aerial and maritime roles in the Indian Ocean Region.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. When was Hindustan Fluorocarbons Limited (HFL) incorporated?
Q2. Which is the first country in South Asia to launch e-passport facility?
Q3. What was India’s rank on Carbon Disclosure Project 2019 report?
Q4. Which among the following countries topped the annual report Carbon Disclosure Project 2019?
Q5. Where is the first squadron of Sukhoi-30 MKI aircraft inducted?