Current Affairs Capsule – January 23, 2020
- January 23, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- India celebrated the 123rd birth anniversary of freedom fighter Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on 23rd January, 2020. Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose was born on 23rd January, 1897 and died on 19th August, 1945 in a plane crash. Bose had formed a separate army on 21st October, 1943 to challenge the British and named it as ‘Azad Hind Fauj’ or the Indian National Army (INA). Captain Mohan Singh was the first commander of the Azad Hindi Fauz. He was elected as the President of the Indian National Congress in 1939.
- India slipped 10 ranks to 51st position in the global democracy index for the year 2019 released by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU). Norway topped the index, which intends to measure the state of democracy in 167 countries. According to the list, India’s total score in the year 2018 was 7.23, which has now reduced to 6.90, lowest of all time. India’s highest score was 7.91 in 2014 and has declined since then. North Korea was ranked at the bottom of the list. The global average this year was 5.44. The Democracy Index was first published in 2006.
- Union Minister of State for Shipping (I/C) and Chemical & Fertilizers Mansukh Mandaviya participated in the high-level roundtable of the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) at the World Economic Forum at Davos in Switzerland on 21st January, 2020. The theme of the event was ‘Access for all: Leveraging Innovations, Investments and Partnerships for Health’. Officially launched in January 1996, the UNAIDS aims to coordinate global action on the AIDS disease and alleviate its impact.
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved the agreement between India and Brazil on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters. The proposed Agreement will provide a broad legal framework for bilateral cooperation with the Federative Republic of Brazil in investigation and prosecution of crime as well as in tracing, restraint and confiscation of proceeds and instruments of crime as well as the fund meant to finance terrorist acts.
- President Ram Nath Kovind presented the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar, 2020 to 49 children at the Rashtrapati Bhavan on 22nd January, 2020. The Bal Puraskar is given by the government to children every year to recognize exceptional achievements in the fields of innovation, scholastic achievements, social service, arts and culture, sports and bravery and carries a medal, a cash prize of Rs. 1 lakh, a certificate and a citation. Twenty-two children who were selected for the National Bravery Awards also received the awards from the President.
- The 50th Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum held in Davos in Switzerland on 21st January, 2020. Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal led the Indian delegation at the event. This year’s programme focuses on achieving maximum impact on the forum’s platform for public-private cooperation across six core areas of activity: ecology, economy, society, industry, technology and geopolitics. Bollywood actress Deepika Padukone has been awarded the Crystal Award at Davos for her leadership in raising mental health awareness. The Founder and Executive Chairman of the WEF is Professor Klaus Schwab. The WEF was established in 1971.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired the first PRAGATI meeting of the year 2020 and the 32nd PRAGATI interaction, on 22nd January, 2020. PRAGATI is the ICT based multi-modal platform for Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation, involving Central and State governments. In the meeting, PM discussed about nine delayed projects worth over Rs. 24,000 crores and spread over nine states. PRAGATI, an interactive platform to address grievances of common people, was launched by Mr. Modi in March 2015.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. Who formed the Azad Hindi Fauz?
- Bhagat Singh
- Lal Bahadur Shastri
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose
- Bal Gangadhar Tilak
Q2. What is the rank of India in the Democracy Index for the year 2019?
Q3. When was the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) launched?
Q4. Union Cabinet approved the agreement between India and _______on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters.
- Sri Lanka
Q5. When was the World Economic Forum established?
Q6. When was PRAGATI launched?