Current Affairs Capsule – January 24, 2020
- January 24, 2020
- Posted by: Team CP
- Category: Current Affairs Capsule
- International Day of Education is celebrated every year across the world on 24th January to recognise the role of education in bringing peace and development. The United Nations General Assembly on 3rd December, 2018 adopted a resolution proclaiming 24th January as the International Day of Education. The theme for this year was ‘Learning for people, planet, prosperity, and peace’. Right to education (RTE) was inserted in Article 21-A of the Indian Constitution through the Constitution (Eighty-sixth Amendment) Act, 2002 to make it a Fundamental Right for children between the ages of six and fourteen.
- Uttarakhand’s Disaster Mitigation & Management Centre in the institution category and Kumar Munnan Singh in the individual category have been selected for the Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar 2020. Instituted in 2019, the award is announced every year on 23rd January, on the occasion of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose’s birth anniversary. It aims to recognise the excellent work done by individuals and institutions in India in the field of disaster management. Kumar Munnan Singh was appointed as a founder member of the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) in 2005 in recognition of his commendable work during the destructive 2004 Tsunami.
- India slipped two positions from 78 in 2018 to 80 in 2019 in the Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI -2019) released by the Transparency International on 23rd January, 2020. Denmark and New Zealand topped the index, listing 180 countries. The index uses a scale from 0 to 100, where score 0 indicates a highly corrupted country whereas number 100 indicates corruption-free country. India scored 40 in 2019 while the average score is 43. Transparency International is a non-governmental organization established in 1993. It has been publishing the Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) every year since 1995.
- NITI Aayog on 23rd January, 2020 announced that it will launch the National Data and Analytics Platform (NDAP) to make all government data accessible to stakeholders in a user-friendly manner. Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog Dr. Rajiv Kumar released the vision document for NDAP. The NDAP will host multiple datasets, present them coherently and provide visualisation and analytics tools. The National Institution for Transforming India (NITI Aayog) was formed on 1st January 2015.
- The Government of India set up a National Startup Advisory Council to advise the Central Government on measures needed to build a strong ecosystem for nurturing innovation and start-ups in the country. The council will be chaired by the Commerce Minister and will consist of non-official members to be nominated by the Government of India. The tenure of the non-official members will be for a period of two years. The Council aims to boost the culture of innovation among the students. The current Union Minister of Commerce and Industry is Piyush Goyal.
- Andhra Pradesh government passed two Bills, including the Andhra Pradesh Decentralisation and Inclusive Development of all Region Bill 2020 and The Andhra Pradesh Capital Region Development Authority Repeal Bill 2020, in the Assembly on 20th January, 2020. The bills pave way for three capitals in the state: Amaravati-legislative capital, Vishakhapatnam- executive capital and Kurnool-judicial capital. B N Sri Krishna Committee, G N Rao Committee and K Sivaramakrishnan Committee recommended these cities.
- India, on 22nd January, 2020, joined as a founding member of the World Economic Forum’s Reskilling Revolution, an initiative to provide one billion people with better education, skills and jobs by 2030. The scheme aims to train workers from technological change and help economies by providing new skills for the Fourth Industrial Revolution. The WEF also released a report titled “Jobs of Tomorrow: Mapping Opportunity in the New Economy”. The World Economic Forum (WEF) was founded in 1971.
Participate in Blue Book Contest and win exciting prizes. Leave your answers in comments column.
Q1. On which day is the International Day of Education celebrated every year?
- 21st January
- 22nd January
- 24th January
- 25th January
Q2. What is the rank achieved by India in the Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI -2019)?
Q3. When was the National Institution for Transforming India (NITI Aayog) formed?
Q4. Who will chair the National Startup Advisory Council?
- Law Minister
- Human Resources Minister
- Commerce minister
- IT minister
Q5. Which state passed bills to form 3 capitals in the state?
- Andhra Pradesh
Q6. When was WEF founded?